1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:21 PM
JohnTheodore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.

I check all my fuses, and they all work on both sides. the slot 13 doesn't seem to be used, there is a good fuse in there, but it doesn't light up. It's always been like this iirc, even before when the lights were working. But my dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light are not working. no idea what is wrong. I tried replacing the dome light, doesn't do anything. Is there a fusable link somewhere or something like that?

Regards,
John Theodore

Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.

No power to the lights. Hmmm...
As you can tell from the wiring diagram, fuse 13 (4A) gets it power from the headlamp switch, which gets its power from fuse 8 (20A). However, if fuse 8 or the fuse that comes before that (a maxi-fuse located in the "black box"), your parking lights (front and rear) wouldn't work.
It could be that there is a problem with the headlamp switch not putting out power to fuse 13, or the wiring is bad.
Attached is the wiring diagram.

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/80BF598C54C2404F872919DDBB65EF00.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-21-2007, 03:01 PM
JohnTheodore
Default RE: Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.

I changed out fuse 13, I put in a 10amp fuse, a 15, and a 30..and no matter what..the fuse doesn't work on both sides. I have this little light, with a ground wire..and I test all the fuses..and the light comes on..but on fuse 13..nothing happens. I know the fuse itself is good, because if I swap it with another fuse..it works. For some reason that fuse female end, where it sits in the fuse box..doesn't work. Is this fuse under my steering wheel the "black box"? And where is the headlamp switch and how do I test that?

Cheers,
John

Old 10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
JohnTheodore

I just double checked, fuse 8 works fine. My light gets power on both sides of the fuse. So it seems from what dodgerules86 said, it's the headlamp switch. How do I test this? And where is this maxi fuse in the "blackbox"? what is the black box? Both my headlights/high beams, and my taillights, blinkers etc all work.

Cheers,
John

Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
iraqvet
Professional

It is possible forone part of the headlight switch circuitto fail and not another, hence you headlights work butthe interior lights don't. If I'm reading the schematic correctly, there is a tan wireoff of the light switch that energizes fuse #13when the lights are turned on...ifthat wire isn't energized when the switch is on, #13 is going to be dead...now power in, no power out.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:26 PM
JohnTheodore

ok, I bought a new headlamp switch at pepboys for $22 USD, and now my dashboard lights work. and fuse 13 works when my headlights are on now too. Maybe that's why I thought 13 wasn't working before..I didn't have my headlights on when I tested the fuse. It's much better driving at night now that I can see the dashboard.

My back cab dome light still doesn't work, and my radio doesn't work. AlthougH I did take the radio apart since I thought something was wrong with it..maybe I didn't put it back together properly. Is there a way to verify the radio is getting power? Which of those wires is power to the radio? o yea, and the compressor doesn't work for air conditioning. The air blows, it's just not cold. THe compressor doesn't come on when it's supposed to..what controls this? If I want to test it and manually short the compressor..what wires do I short?

Cheers,
John

Old 10-22-2007, 02:42 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

Dodgerules86 helped me out with the same problem. There is a 50 amp Maxifuse in the blackbox in the engine compartment. You'll find it on the drivers side fender wall by the battery. At lease thats where it is on my 95. It's marked "Int. Lights". It's a $2 fuse and it's very difficult to tell if it is bad so for two bucks replace it anyway. There is also a 10 amp fuse in that same blackbox. That one is most likely blown too. I just followed the wiring diagram that dodgerules posted and everything worked fine after.

BTW. Thanks dodgerules86 I never got back to you on how everything worked out so here it is. All is fine. Thanks again.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:39 PM
JohnTheodore

ok, I replaced those small form factor fuses, the thinish ones. I replaced a 5 amp with a 15 amp, and my dome light works now. My radio and compressor still doesn't work though. Also my fuel gauge doesn't work, although I thought this was a mechanical issue..but now that I discovered this blackbox, I'm starting to think it might be electrical. which fuse is the fuel gauge?

Cheers,
John

Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
JohnTheodore

ok, I took off the clear plastic square cover on those larger square fuses in the black box, and I tested both sides of the fuse, and they all work. So all my fuses work. But still no radio, and no compressor. This is the second time my radio doesn't work. The first time I bought a new one..and it works again. Now this one I bought doesn't work.. could it be the fuse is rated too high..and the radio is getting damaged? Should I put a 5 amp fuse for the radio? Anyone know a good place to buy these used am/fm cassette radios?

Cheers,
John

Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 PM
JohnTheodore

Are all those switches in the black box interchangeable/the same? I'm wondering since my headlamp switch was bad, maybe one of the switches in the blackbox is bad. But I'm not sure if they're all the same and if I can just swap them from one place to another.

Cheers,
John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.