3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front and Rear Axle fluid change.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 PM
pack154
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front and Rear Axle fluid change.

Has anyone done this on their own with the"Gen 3" instead of taking it to the dealer? They want to charge $169.00 for the front and $189.00 for the rear and theyclaim that it needs to be done every 15K miles.I've changed out the axle fluids on my older trucks but was just wondering if it is any different with the LSD?

Old 10-27-2007, 01:29 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Front and Rear Axle fluid change.

its the same as before, but when you do the frt, there is no room for clearance it is real tight

Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Wow! That's a major rip off. I paid $70 to get my rear axle fluid changed two weeks ago. Of course, that wasn't at the dealer....

Old 10-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Obvioulsy there is no problem with changing out the rear diff, but the front gets kinda complicated.

IIRC, there is a rubber plug/boot that you can pop off and use a pump to suck out the fluid. I took my off to 'claen it out' and make sure everything looked good. Taking it off is a PITA as is putting it on; I suggest that once you do get it off, practice putting it back on a couple of times so you get the angle right. And if you are lucky you won't get RTV all over the place!!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:03 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

I only did the rear so far. It was pretty easy. I used royal purple fluid. I have the LSD rear. With the royal purple you don't have to add the special additive for the LSD.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be changing the rear to Amsoil over Christmas break, will probably get the front and trans fluid changed by a shop if it's that much of a hassle since I'll be limited for time to work on her...

Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 AM
viper359
Professional

Up here in Ontario, Canada, I just went to our local Mr. Lube. Front and rear cost $89.00 each, since both were synthetic. Took less than 10 minutes for the guys to do it. Even gave a nice soapy power wash after to clean up all the mess, and dirt for regular use. Was kind of nice, they dropped that skid plates to, and even degressed them.....

I like to let my dealership do an oil change once a year (which for me is one month out of the year, the other eleven goto Mr. Lube), just so they can give the truck a nice once over.... just to see if someone is trying to take me for a rip off ride... Gives me two opinions....

Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 AM
pack154
Professional

ORIGINAL: mb18

Wow! That's a major rip off. I paid $70 to get my rear axle fluid changed two weeks ago. Of course, that wasn't at the dealer....
I agree. He said it was because the special synthetic fluid that makes it so expensive. Anyways I'm doing it myself and putting Amsoil in both rear and front. I might have a local shop do the front if it is that of a PITA.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 AM
niftyguy239
Professional

Actually had the rear diff seal go out on me with 30k miles. Replaced both fluid and seal with no problems. I don't have a front diff so I'm good to go. I think it was like 17 or 18 bucks for the fluid not very expensive

Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 PM
pack154
Professional

ORIGINAL: viper359

Up here in Ontario, Canada, I just went to our local Mr. Lube. Front and rear cost $89.00 each, since both were synthetic. Took less than 10 minutes for the guys to do it. Even gave a nice soapy power wash after to clean up all the mess, and dirt for regular use. Was kind of nice, they dropped that skid plates to, and even degressed them.....

I like to let my dealership do an oil change once a year (which for me is one month out of the year, the other eleven goto Mr. Lube), just so they can give the truck a nice once over.... just to see if someone is trying to take me for a rip off ride... Gives me two opinions....
Wow! That seems alittle quick to change both front and back fluids out. Did they take the covers off or just replace the fluids?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front and Rear Axle fluid change.