1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Won't Shift out of Park?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Wireless_Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango Won't Shift out of Park?

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering a failure of the Brake/Shift interlock. Is there a way to override this on a 2001 Dodge Durango? The vehicle starts no problem, but very much seems to never disengage the interlock that is keeping it in Park.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Wireless_Guy
Default RE: 2001 Durango Won't Shift out of Park?

Sorry, I had this in the wrong spot, n00b error. Thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Wireless_Guy

Still looking for any kind of help. I just need a way to get the vehicle into neutral so it can be towed more easily. It's stuck in the middle of our parking lot at work. Meaning that even up to almost midnight, it's surrounded by cars. Since it won't go into neurtal, I can't find a way to get it out of the parking lot.

No advice or help at all? I really don't think it's a transmission issue. I checked the fuses, but I couldn't find one related to the break shift interlock.

Just not sure what to do...

Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
deerang
All Star

you can try putting the transfer case into neutral and see if it can be towed/pushed. as for getting the tranny into neutral, just try jiggling the keys while trying to take it out of park. I don't even need to press the brake pedal to get it out of park, as long as the key is in the ON position

Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

idk mine you have to have the brake almost to the floor before it will shift out of park, check for loose wiring on the brake light switch, it could be a loos wire anywhere, but that would be my first guess follow the wires that go into the column and to the break lights/pedal

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
deerang
All Star

maybe it was a safety feature added in the redesign for '01, maybe my lock is just broken. I don't even feel resistence to taking out of park without pressing the brake.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Ck the brake lite switch.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Wireless_Guy

Thanks for the advice guys...I traded it in on a White 2007 Dodge Charger.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 AM
HuskerNation51

This is a little late but it might help future people beings I just had the same problem with my 2003 Dodge Ram. Check fuses and relays first. Then Push the Brake, if the brake lights do not come on, change the brake light switch located right in front of the brake pedal, $12 part, 5 minutes to change. Now if you do have lights it might be your shift lock solenoid. So here is what I learned. If disconnect the Battery then put the key in the run possition, you can shift out of park. The shift solenoid lock is around $100. So here is what I did. Disconnect battery, apply parking brake for safety. Remove dash cover beneath stairing column, then take off the top and bottom cover on the stairing column. Now put the key in the run position. While shifting out of Park into Reverse Nuet. and Drive, look at the flat metal shaft that connects to the shifter lever, you should see a small whole in this shaft, this whole is the locking whole that the locking rod goes into when in park. With the shift lever in the drive position, look and see where that whole would line up with if it were in park. There should be a round mechanism with a 2 wire plug coming out of it. Unplug that, this should bypass the lock. Now why you have everything apart put it back in park turn key off and hook back up battery. Turn the key to the Run position and you should be able to shift out of park. Then Start car and check too. For safety this solenoid makes you apply the brake to shift, bypassing it will let you shift without putting your foot on the break like old cars. But it will still lock when the key is in the off position. hope this helps everyone...

Old 12-10-2011, 03:23 PM
ajoshi91
Captain

I know this post is much over a year old but i'm having the same problem.

It happened last night at work. i turned the car on and tried shifting out of park and for the love of me it wouldnt. then finally after just sitting there for five minutes i pushed the brake and it shifted. so i went home.

I was playing with it today and noticed that if i push the shifter in towards the steering wheel this click noise is heard and it shifts nice and smooth.

i havent opened the column up yet but i'm guessing it has to do with that shift lock solenoid you mentioned.

i couldn't find a replacement part online or at oreily auto parts website where i usually buy my parts.

does anyone have a part # for it or possibly an alternative name it might be under? i dont work this weekend luckily. but finals are this week. be nice to get my car fixed so i can get to school and back when i need to.

_____________EXTRA STUFF SOMEWHAT RELATED___________________________________________ _____________

Also i was looking online and found this

http://www.ehow.com/about_5576346_do...-problems.html

it says under shift interlock system:
"Chrysler LLC issued a recall notice on the 2002 Durango for a faulty ignition and park shift interlock system that allows the transmission to be shifted out of Park after the ignition key is removed. The defect could cause the vehicle to roll away. Chrysler will replace the gearshift block and install a new bracket assembly."

sharp have you heard this?

DECEMBER 2007 -- Chrysler is recalling 576,418 MY 2001-2002 Dakota, Durango, Ram van and MY 2002 Ram pick-up trucks equipped with automatic transmissions. The ignition/park shift interlock system may become inoperative. This can allow the shifter to be moved out of the "park" position with the ignition key removed (or in the "lock" position). This can also allow the ignition key to be removed when the shifter has not been placed in the "park" position. Either of these conditions could allow the vehicle to roll away causing a crash without warning. Dealers will replace the gearshift blocker and bracket assembly. The recall is expected to begin during January 2008. 07V-555

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...ge_durango.htm

Last edited by ajoshi91; 12-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Won't Shift out of Park?