2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Worn Timing Symptoms

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worn Timing Symptoms

What are the symptoms of a worn timing chain? I know mine has hit that mileage mark and needs to be replaced but I'm trying to find out what other items might be related. I get clacking at start up till oil pressure comes up. Never had it before. Is it related? When I get off the highway and come to a stop, my oil light comes on. Does the change in timing at a stop effect oil pressure? I get recently what sounds like knock right before the tranny shifts up. Is this related to timing being off?
I don't know how the timing changes from start up to warm to acceleration to cruise to idle...
Thank you for any help.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM
XXL 1500
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worn Timing Symptoms

usually the best time you can find out if a chain is going bad is at idle - semi-warmed up
you will hear a ...hmm... how do i explain it... like a clacking sound like someone is dragging a small chain over the edge of a
metal table... like a rattling type of noise

Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you are describing doesn't sound like timing chain to me. Sounds more like oil pump. What type oil filter are you using? What grade oil?
WC

Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

winter time you should be running thinner oil such as 5w30
if you do end up replacing oil pump, buy a high-volume oil pump instead of stock

Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I have just over 174000 miles on her. I run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. Oil pressure is normal and other than the clackety at start up and the occassional blinky oil light, you wouldn't know there was an issue. I have always used Fram Sure Guard (orange with black grip). I tried a Napa Spinflow but that's when this started. I don't think it's related to the filter. I also just dumped half a can of Seafoam in the oil in hopes if I had a floater I'd be able to break it loose and drain it out. Nope.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Just thought of this. This happened soon after I had my intake pan repair done. Do you think the oil light could be from a lose connection at that oil sending unit? Is the electrical connector disconnected during the intake pan repair?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I'm not sure but I think adding sefoam to your oil wold ruin your oil. I'm not sure though

Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aubrey

I have just over 174000 miles on her. I run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. Oil pressure is normal and other than the clackety at start up and the occassional blinky oil light, you wouldn't know there was an issue. I have always used Fram Sure Guard (orange with black grip). I tried a Napa Spinflow but that's when this started. I don't think it's related to the filter. I also just dumped half a can of Seafoam in the oil in hopes if I had a floater I'd be able to break it loose and drain it out. Nope.
Seafoam in the oil??? Damn, drain a quart of oil and then use either a quart of kerosene or diesel fuel for about a 50 mile drive. Then drain, and add 5 fresh quarts of oil.

Also, Fram filters are a waste of money and are total crap. Wix or Perolator are the best.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
WayneC
Captain

VW&D
You took the words right outa my mouth!
Fram is the worst on the market and that is not just my opinion. Do a search on the net regarding oil filters, you'll see what I mean. Also, yeah, flush the oil if you think you have gunk in there. I use mineral spirits each oil change just before draining. Diesel is also good. Ya might want to do it a few times in succession. Keep in mind though, 174K...things wear out. A little noise is gotta be expected. I'd blame Fram! You could also try re-seating the plug for the sending switch, but that's not making you start-up noise, only the light (but I doubt it, as it would be more constant).
If I can find some research I saved somewhere on oil flitters, I'll send that along.
WC

Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 PM
WayneC
Captain

Found It! http://people.msoe.edu/%7Eyoderw/oil...tudy.html#fram
Here is a direct quote from the Fram Section,
"If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause."
Read the whole (rather lengthy) article though. Very enlightening.
WC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worn Timing Symptoms