PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

PCM problems

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
GeorgeN.C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM problems

ok here's the story and the problem.2001 dodge ram 1500,tranny problems started at 16,000 miles,then the power steering pump went then the windshield had to be replaced due to faulty installation.Iwas thrown out of the dealership at 34,000 miles because the tranny was still whining after 2 rebuilds and it was going off warranty.Now at 60,000 miles i have just replaced the tranny.ran fine for a few days then it started spitting and bucking then would run ok for a bit.Then it died altogether,had it towed to a shop where they told me nothing was wrong(not a good idea to tell someone who just had their truck towed in that nothing is wrong).I put a new fuel pump in because i couldn't here it run.didn't work.Hooked it up to a diagnostic reader, all it said was fail,now my odometer says NoBu5,it is my understanding that this is a problem with the PCM.my question is could this be a ground problem or could it be linked to the tranny,is there a way to test the PCM? If the cam or crank sensor was bad would it cause the NoBu5 after the obd test?oh yeah the dash is now cracked all to hell too.Great truck huh? But i need it to get to work

Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM
GuidoInc
Default RE: PCM problems

My PCM had an error code of "Parity Error", not sure of the P0 code. I went to car-parts.com and got a replacement PCM for $50. Maybe you can get one that doesn't cost too much and see if that fixes the problem I still have problems with my replacement. I think it needs to be "flashed". Anybody here able to explain the flash process? I don't want to show up at a dealer or repair shop and not know what I or them is talking about.

Good luck

Old 12-04-2007, 02:16 PM
GeorgeN.C
Default RE: PCM problems

thanks for the advice guido the problem was the crank sensor wires, when they put the tranny in they got the wires and plug caught between the bell housing and the block ,the plug for the sensor was actually inside of the bell housing.it's running now but not right.Think i might need to be flashed too.I'm thinking about one of those performance flashes you can get online anyone have any experiences with them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM problems