1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Catalytic Converter Replacement

Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
durango037
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter Replacement

Hello all!!! Looking for some information on replacing a catalytic converter. I bought a Magnaflow 94000 series Hi Flow Cat and Magnaflow exhaust system and would like to install them myself if possible. I have searched for threads on how to replace the cat, since thats probably the hardest part, but I don't see many installation instructions. Does the cat have to be cut off and then the new one welded on? I am pretty sure the exhaust system is bolt on after the cat, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. I think installing the new cat is going to be the hardest. Anyone have any suggestions, can I cut the cat off and clamp it until it can be welded or is taking it to a muffler shop the easiest way.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Catalytic Converter Replacement

I'd just take it to a muffler shop if you don't have a way to weld it/you can't weld. It shouldn't cost much at all just call around and find the best deal in your area.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D037:

What is the reason for replacing the cat?? If it is not bad, why spend the bucks? FYI, the OEM cats on the 00 and newer Durangos flow pretty good as is. Unless you are going to spend alot of time in the 4-5k rpm range I don't see a benefit to the switch.

Don

Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the cat you bought is a direct fit then you will need to take off the old one. It may be hard to take off. After time and all the heat it kinda welds it together. I used a comealong on both ends to pull it off. I broke one. So I used my friends truck to pull it off of the other pipe. maybe you will be lucky. If it is not a direct fit it will need to be welded. or take apart your old one and gut it out. best flow you can get. the way I did it was take a long skiny pipe and hit it in with a slug hammer. It will all brake up over time. Where I live there is emisssion laws. but they visually see its there (they dont know its empty) and my truck passes with it like that no problems.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a good idea to gut the cat unless you buy an O2 sim, Our D's will give you a CEL and lean out otherwise. That and emissions testing will get you.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 AM
durangeddurango
Professional

if you purchased a 94007 only minor welding will be required to complete install

Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
dmh80

I just bought a Durango 2 months ago and I'm looking to either gut or replace the cat with a straight pipe. What would be best and what's the best way of doing it.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just replace the cat. Then go from there.

Come on guys why just gut it. Your rigs will run so much better if you just replace it with a hi flow 3 inch replacement then go 3" back exhaust.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
dmh80

what's the benefit with replacing it with a new one than straight piping it, other that spending $.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dmh80

what's the benefit with replacing it with a new one than straight piping it, other that spending $.
Simple answer:

Emissions

More and more places that normally do not have annual emissions testing are now requiring this test. So going straight pipe, you may not pass inspection and will have to install one back on later. I would do as Hydra suggested, Get a high flow cat.

It's good to be a contributor to a greener environment! Our D's pollute enough as it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Replacement