2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 quad heater blower fan not working all speeds.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:32 AM
dodgetrukn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 quad heater blower fan not working all speeds.

2001 quad, 4.7l, 3.92 lsd rear, 5sp. Other day start truck after 2 short block trip for newspaper. Upon restart, have NO radio, NO blinkers, No Blower fan at any speed. (Previously had recall for possible wiring harness chaff from clutch pedal action, dealer declared I do not have wiring harness problem.) Got home, reseated all fuses, restarted. Radio and Blinkers work. Heater blower fan not working all speeds. Swap some identical relays and checked continuitywith dvm for all fuses inside cab and in engine compartment. All fuses good. Days later, same condition, blower fan does not work. No error codes displayed upon error code test. Cut back insulation enough to put 12v on fan blower, and it works. Thinking of removing dashboard cover under steering wheel and reseat any connectors. Heat does barely flow from vents when heater fan switch selected to low-med-high and no flow in off position, again the blower fan will not activated. Anyone see this? Got info that blower resistor pack only controls low-med speed, and fan should work on high regardless. I have no fan blower at all! All help greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has an electrical schematic of that circuit, it would also be greatly appreciated. No fan since 12.22.2005 Thanks. Ger.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:30 PM
73roadrunner
Captain
Default RE: 2001 quad heater blower fan not working all speeds.

I can't help much other than to say my blower motor resistor went last month and you are correct in that It only worked in the highest position, but it was covered under my extendend warrenty.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned

ORIGINAL: 73roadrunner

I can't help much other than to say my blower motor resistor went last month and you are correct in that It only worked in the highest position, but it was covered under my extendend warrenty.
That would be my best guess too. Blower motor resistor sounds like the culprit.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
dodgetrukn

Folks, Problem solved.. Many folks have said that the resistor pack is only for low-medium fan speeds. Again I had NO FAN at ANY fan settings including HIGH... After pulling dash, and shorting fan switch to HIGH position and shorting the appropriate wire from the fan switch connector at the relay pack to black wire at the fan did it work. I measured the resistor pack for the FULL on position and it measured ~ 300ohms.. After extensive checking of all fuses and swapping same type relays in the engine compartment fuse box beforehand, It finally worked after I went to the dealer and installed a New Resistor Pack. It seems that the orig and new resistor pack has a shorting thru connection to the fan as I had shorted myself.. I had never read anybody mention that the resistor pack had any effect on the FULL Fan On position, but apparently it does.. For future reference.. check the fuses, swap the relays, then replace the resistor pack..Cost me a total of $10.02, and a few beverages after the fix.. It also seems that the blower seems louder and forces more air..I am kinda thinking the original resistor pack had a few ohms resistance at FULL setting as it never forced air as it does now..Even the setting below max seems stronger..
For future reference,, the green wire at the fan blower will measure +12 to grd as the Black wire does when the ignition is set to run.. The fan switch connects the low side, or ground to the fan through the resistor pack as measured at the black wire at the fan as anyone can see those wires under the passenger side near the door..Very happy now..Thanks for all feedback from everyone.. Regards, Ger. gmillnj@hotmail.com

Old 12-28-2005, 10:14 PM
kjun
Professional

Thanks for posting the fix. Good future reference for us all. Enjoy the beverages!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 01:12 AM
titan2087
Veteran

Ya thancks man the boys over in the durango fourms actully found a good use for this info as 1 of them was haveing the same problem.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
dewey7015

anyone have the part number for the resistor (it's for a 2004 dak.)?
thanks
D.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

dealer part, call them

Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Datokagrl

Thanks so much, I had the same problem, and I read your posting, and I went and got the part, and I watched on YouTube how to replace it:

Thx, Thx

Old 03-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Clinton Chapman

Bad blower resistor from 2009 Dodge Ram with manual temperature control.

This is the one I removed from the truck. It cost about $28 for a Mopar part off of Amazon to replace it. Takes about 1 minute to do this job.

Thanks Rod!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 quad heater blower fan not working all speeds.