Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
No Experience
66.67%
Ive used it in my Cummins
29.73%
Ive used it in something other than my Cummins
3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Question about Biodiesel

Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about Biodiesel

So, per a discussion in off topic, I was curious as to how many of our members have experience with biodiesel. We have such a huge diesel crowd, im curious as to how many people have dealt with it.

I will admit that I dont know much about it, although Ive seen it produced on television. Is there any noticable difference in performance when running biodiesel?

Thanks for the opinions!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Question about Biodiesel

If I recall reading another post in the Cummins section Dodge can void your warranty if they determine you are using BioDiesel.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did they give the grounds for cancellation? i would think that in the refining system that i saw, there would be some bi-product of the cooking process that may end up passing through the fuel system.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cummins has certified the engine to run on B5. . .I know guy's on other forums that run B99-b100 all the time.

the main reason why the B5 certification is that Bio fuels dont undergo the same evaluations and restrictions that normal fuels are. so the cetane, lubricative properties, and BTU factors can swing wildly.

have I run it. . .no I havent, but I would if it were more prevelant in my area.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 PM
bekim
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used bio in mixes from 10% to b99 with no problems. It runs a bit quieter, has a little less power and gets 1+ mpg worse mileage. It does smell pretty good though.
Mike
###

Old 01-16-2008, 12:16 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

did they give the grounds for cancellation? i would think that in the refining system that i saw, there would be some bi-product of the cooking process that may end up passing through the fuel system.
This is the post I was referring to, it has since grown and is even out of date given some more recent posts. I was interested in making my owna little over a year ago which brought me to that post. Of course Iwould have needed to buy a Diesel for my daily driver. But in the end I said screw it. It is to easy to pay the pump, of course I may change my mind someday

https://dodgeforum.com/m_608909/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

Old 01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
gregj3
Amateur

It's hard to get without over paying for it where I live. When I have found it, I do run it. No noticeable difference. I don't' see any power loss OR decrease in milage. It may have been my imagination, but I swear I had an increase in milage. I didn't do any numbers, so I have no proof of anything. If anyone has any leads on reasonably priced Bio-Diesel - please feel free to drop me a line.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've been running B20 in my truck since August of last year. It runs better than petro diesel, I don't have to add any additives to the fuel because it has better lubricating properties, it cost 10 cents less a gallon and 20% of the money I spend on fuel now stays inside the US, instead of foreign countries and greedy oil company pockets.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I have ran straight waste vegetable oil in my truck. The only problem I have encountered was the weather too cold and I blended too much. I am going to start again when the weather warms up. I need to work on a pump system of some sort as I am going to get some drums tomorrow for storage. When I was running thewvo I had no noticable difference in power or mileage. I would like to get a 2nd tank and do this the way people say it has to be done. but I think after summer time I might be able to have the budget for that if all goes well. until then I will just get it and poor it in, again once the weather is right.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 PM
soniclm
Professional

I have run B100 in my truck alot but when its prety cold outside, it has a tad of problem starting up but when its plugged it, its starts up just fine. A friend of mine, his dad runs straight vega oil in his all year long but its like a 96 too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Biodiesel