3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

key copy

Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key copy

I am getting a keyless entry/ remote star system installed on monday and they may or may not need an extra key to put into my truck..if they do need another key, I have a spare I can give them but I will want another spare incase anything happens to my original key. How much should it cost for me to get a copy of my key done at a dealership?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: key copy

i'm guessing it's a black key..so the key will cost ya around $20 prolly and then they'll have to cut it so you'll pay labor on that....i'm guessing prolly around $40 totalor so but i could be wrong.....can't remember off the top of my head how much time they charge to cut a key

Old 01-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Kebo
Professional

Why get one at the dealership? I got two madeat my local hardware store and the cost was only $6. The stealership is going to charge way more than that.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Kebo

Why get one at the dealership? I got two madeat my local hardware store and the cost was only $6. The stealership is going to charge way more than that.
If I have a chip in my key, the dealership is my only option to get a copy made but if I don'thave a chip in the key then I'll definitly do what you did

Old 01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

you have the black key, right?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:28 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

i'm guessing it's a black key..so the key will cost ya around $20 prolly and then they'll have to cut it so you'll pay labor on that....i'm guessing prolly around $40 totalor so but i could be wrong.....can't remember off the top of my head how much time they charge to cut a key
yeah it has a black top to the key, I went to circuit city to buy an over the counter remote start system and they guy said he thinks I have a chip in the key..when I went back a day or two later to schedule a time to have this system installed, the mechanic says he doesn't think he will need to the key so I have no idea if I'll have to give them one or not haha

Old 01-19-2008, 11:31 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

the black key is just a regular key...no chip inside, the grey keys have a chip inside....so you shouldn't have to give them anything

Old 01-19-2008, 11:33 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Black keys are not sentry keys. You have just a garden-variety key which you can have copied anywhere. This might be your cue to go elsewhere. Circuit City ought to know better.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

alright thanks guys.. i just have one mroe question. When I went to circuit city they said that if there was a chip inside the key (which there is not), that only the remote starter and my key would start up my truck, and that it would make it basically impossible for someone to steal the truck even by hotwiring it because the chip would only allow the engine to start by something that matches up with the chip (the remote start button and the key which would have an identical chip inside it to the one in the truck). Since there is no chip in the key and they won't need it to put in the truck, do I lose this capability for the truck to only start for me? In other words, is the truck more easy to steal since there is no chip that will prevent this from happening?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:17 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yeah, ya know....theres nothing you can do really to keep someone from stealing your truck....i mean you can put an alarm on it which might deter them a little bit but if they want it bad enough, their just gonna take it...but to answer your question, yeah you lose that ability....kinda wanna say there blowin smoke up your **** lol, but i dont know, i dont know much about remote starters but i'm 99% sure your gonna lose it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: key copy