1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango is Dead (battery?)

Old 01-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Mortikai
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango is Dead (battery?)

I did a forum search and saw some people had problems similar to mine, but I no almost nothing about cars so I wanted to ask for myself before trying anything. I have a 99 Durango, and it's been fine and all that, but a few days ago I went to start it and it just made this clicking sound. Well the next day I went out to start it again, and this time the engine started, though it did struggle a bit. Yesterday, I go to start it, and it's back to the clicking. TODAY I go to start it and I get nothing; it's completely dead. I hear some clicking sound coming from the glove box or something, but this isn't the same kind of clicking. This clicking happens when the door is open, but it stops clicking when the door is closed, and when I try to start it. Anyways, I was going to try to jump start it using a portable charger thing (it's one of those multi-purpose car things - it can inflate tires, jump start the battery, etc). However, the directions with it tell me to take off the clamp from the positive battery terminal. I CAN'T because it's got so much gunk and corrosion on it, and I'm practically stripping the bolt trying to get it off. But, after reading a bit, I realized that the gunk itself may be the problem. I took a picture of it just so you can see the terminals and tell me if that in fact is the case.

Battery Pic: http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/1513/p1280008vu2.jpg
So, to summarize (just so you dont have to read that huge paragraph):
-Car won't start, but it clicks. I think it's the battery.
-How do I remove the clamp thingy off the battery so I can jump start? (It's corroded and won't come off)
-Could it just be the gunk on there killing the battery? If so, is baking soda and water the trick to get it off?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Durango is Dead (battery?)

MK:

Yes indeed those terminals are terribly corroded. I would try some baking soda and water with a toothbrush and clean them up. You will need to remove them to do it properly. If by chance yout battery is 4 years old or more,I would replace it just on principle.

Hopefully the terminals are not so damaged that they can not be reused.

Don

Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
thepeshmode
Amateur

Seeing your battery reminded me of mine awhile ago. I had a three year old battery that had to be replaced. The terminal connectors were corroded like yours. The dealership wanted close to $200 for the positive or negative battery cable. Only because it was a cable harness. I found (at AutoZone) battery terminals thatI used to replace the pos and neg connectors. The replacement each have a pigtail connections with screwdown terminals. Cut off the corroded terminals and trim back the existing cables and screw down.

Each terminal connector cost about $12.00
Hope this helps

My D has been running just fine. Occasionally I tighten the cable connections.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is probably just the corrosion keeping you from starting the D, not a dead battery. Clean it up as stated then go get some dieelectric grease at auto zone (or wherever car stuff is sold) and cover the whole terminal. Axle grease works too if you have any. You can usually just buy a little squeeze packet that has enough for 1 application for $0.99.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Mortikai

Alright, I've put on the baking soda and all that, and the terminals look a lot better. I got it back to making the clicking sound when I try and start it, and things like the interior lights were working. However, I tried to start it this morning and it goes back to being tottaly dead, and I'm getting that clicking from somewhere inside the glovebox. I've tried jumpstarting it with my portable power system, but I don't seem to be getting anything out of that. What am I doing wrong / what do I need to do? If I can't figure this out, I'll probably have to get it towed or something.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:41 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mortikai

Alright, I've put on the baking soda and all that, and the terminals look a lot better. I got it back to making the clicking sound when I try and start it, and things like the interior lights were working. However, I tried to start it this morning and it goes back to being tottaly dead, and I'm getting that clicking from somewhere inside the glovebox. I've tried jumpstarting it with my portable power system, but I don't seem to be getting anything out of that. What am I doing wrong / what do I need to do? If I can't figure this out, I'll probably have to get it towed or something.
Just get a new battery.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
browncs63

This is not a question but a solution. Our company runs a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8, which was having problems starting. We have been online multiple times to see if others had a solution and we found that owners were spending 1000's $ trying to figure the problem out to no avail, replacing part after part.
The PROBLEM:
Drive the Durango shut it off - go to start and would crank only - leave it for a while - come back start right up. At times the check engine light would come on, stay on, and throw a P0340 code (according to manual and dealers - no Cam shaft sensor on this model - it was throwing a false code). Little by little problem got worse to point Durango would not start at all. Seemed like it might be factory alarm with engine kill.
OTHERS ONLINE TRIED:
Coil; Crank Sensor; IAC; battery replacement; new distributor cap, rotor and plugs; replacement and/or flash of PCM; Throttle Positioning Sensor; Fuses; amoung other items. Brought to Dodge they could not figure it out.
WE FOUND IT TO BE:
Distributor pickup which duals as a cam shaft sensor. This is located under the distributor cap. A $50.00 part solved the problem.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His issue is indeed the battery and not the distributor, although with regular maintenance its recomended to replace the cap and rotor when doing plugs/wires/ basic tune up pretty much.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Brown, that's good information, but it has nothing to do with the problem he's having. You described completely different symptoms.

Mortikai, as others have said, those terminals definitely need to be cleaned up, and you'll need to take them off to do it right. I've seen much worse corrosion, though, that didn't stop the vehicle from starting, so I really suspect you just need a new battery. Disregard the age of the battery, some die early, and some last for 15 years. Also, those portable power packs vary a lot in quality. Given that your battery is pretty much 100% drained and that you're trying to crank a big V-8 (and possibly a very cold one, depending on where you live), it may be that the one you have just doesn't have the juice to pull it off. I'd try jumping it from another vehicle.

Also, in addition to the dielectric grease or axle grease that was mentioned, I've had success using plain ol' Vaseline on battery terminals. Mainly you're just looking for something that will keep the air away from them to prevent the corrosion from returning.

One other question. Are you sure you're reading the instructions for your jump starter correctly? I can't think of any situation in which it makes sense to disconnect the positive battery cable when you're jump starting it. Running a vehicle with no battery connected is generally a very bad idea.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 PM
dustinjackson

just pour a little coca cola on it, lol it will take the corrosion right off, that just shows how bad coke is for you haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durango is Dead (battery?)