Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power Loss/Smoke Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss/Smoke Problem

The other night I was doing a burnout which I honestly rarely do....it was on a very slick surface anyway.....so the turbo winds out, i let off the brake, then pull out onto the road, still with my foot at full throttle. Suddenly teh engine loses power almost as if i pulled my foot off to half throttle. I let off, then hammered down again and had normal power again.

Also, when I'm in 1st pushing against the governor (around 2800 rpm) and its waiting to shift to 2nd (auto trans), a light colored smoke pours out of the tailpipe...but when it shifts the smoke stops.

When I'm on the interstate around 75-80 mph, I can kind of feel like my truck is intermittently dropping power for a brief second, then getting it back. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM
SilverSmoker
Rookie
Default RE: Power Loss/Smoke Problem

Sounds like not getting fuel, pray its not the lift pump!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Horseman
Rookie

Sounds like your lift pump...starving for fuel

Old 01-30-2008, 08:09 PM
miknwv
Veteran

is there a place i can drain water out of a catch somewhere on my fuel system?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: miknwv

is there a place i can drain water out of a catch somewhere on my fuel system?
Yep

See that yellow lever? It's on the fuel filter housing. Running along the side of teh housing is a small clear hose. When you push that lever over, fuel and water ( if there is any ) will come out of the hose. After you are done drainingsome out, bump the starter once or twice before starting the truck up to re-fill the canister

Name:  026.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  98.2 KB

Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 AM
miknwv
Veteran

thanks guys...and thanks for that info mayfair....i kinda have the symptoms narrowed down now .....

When im at the very end of first gear waiting for it to shift to second gear.....the light smoke pours out the exhaust and it feels like the fuel feed is cutting out, then when it shifts to second gear, the smoke goes away but it feels like its just not gettin enough fuel for a few seconds, then it gets up some power.

If I go through 2nd gear hammered down, then when it shifts to drive, for a second or two it just feels like its not gettin enough fuel....that help any?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Are you talking about when you mash the pedal, or just cruising along?

What color is the smoke?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 AM
miknwv
Veteran

it does it around 3/4 to full throttle....and the smoke is a lighter color, almost a light blue-ish white maybe?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Light colored smoke is an idication that you are starving the engine of fuel. I'd stop driving it imediately and find out why. If you don't, you are gonna kill the VP44 and will be looking at a $2000+ repair bill.

Change your fuel filter first, if that does not cure the problem, get a cheap hand held pressure gauge and check the PSI at the test port on the VP44 to see if your lift pump is going out.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
miknwv
Veteran

I'm callin advance to get the filter and pricing a handheld fuel pressure gauge now. if there are problems at heavy acceleration, will it show at idle while i have this gauge on there? cause i wouldnt imagine me holding onto the hood with a pressure gauge while someone drove my truck to reproduce the problem lol...... am i looking for an idle pressure of less than 8 psi to tell me its my lift pump?

EDIT: There's a cummins store right down the road, im goin there to get the filter and see about that pressure gauge.

Quick Reply: Power Loss/Smoke Problem