Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 3.0 Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
MarkBall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 3.0 Water Pump

Ok, got a leak in the cooling system. Coming from on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. Pull manifold (fix the leaking valve cover gaskets while I'm there), replace the coolant tube running into the back of the water pump, new 'O' rings on the tubes, new hoses, new intake gaskets, fire it up, runs great.

Now it's leaking again. Not the same spot though (top of engine dry, transaxle bellhousing dry) cannot see exactly where it's leaking from. Hmmm water pump I think? I have a coolant smell when it warms up, it drip, drip, drip when it's cooling down on the passenger side of the van.

So I calls the local Dodge dealer to see how much it will cost to replace it (quit turning wrenches for a living 20 years ago)............... almost died from sticker shock. Whew!!!!

Anyway, the book says 5 hours to change the pump. Add an hour to change the timing belt, which will be done at the same time (145,000 miles). I've looked at the engine & cannot imagine how to get the room to remove the cover to access the pump/t-belt. I've looked in the manual, but the pictures in the manual show an engine sitting out in plain sight, not tucked up inside an engine bay.

Any ideas, suggestions, hard knocks? I have a month to change the dang thing, it's not that hard to do, except for clearance. Have all the tools to do it with the exception of a lift (have floor jack & stands to keep elevated if needed), just need an idea of how to access something that looks impossible to remove.

I would rather not spend almost a grand on an $800 van. Would rather do it myself if I can.

Advise this poor ol man please!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
holtzer1
Rookie
Default RE: 96 3.0 Water Pump

just follow the manual steps....they suck bad to do. i despise doing them. the bolts i know your referring to are the camshaft timing gear covers...you almost have got to use an air ratchet, theres not much room at all. looks are decieving. once you start removing the pulleys and brackets from the front of the motor it opens up a little.
theres alot of steps involved or i'd type em out for ya.
i'll say this much, that front bracket that covers the pulley side of everything, is a **** to get outta thee. youll cuss, alot.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

I suppose I will have to raise it up to remove the engine mount......... the book doesn't show a picture of it, so I'm gonna be flying blind.

Is there a secret (think this is the bracket your referring to that I'm gonna cuss) or is it easier to remove it from the bottom after it's unbolted?

I guess I can take my time, get a couple sticks of dynamite.............oops, wrong forum.....

I have another vehicle, so time is not an issue. I'll just take my time & 'get r done'.

Thanks,

Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 AM
holtzer1
Rookie

i found it easiest to remove if i have the van on jack stands with a floor jack under the oil pan (with a block of wood between the pan and the jack) and lower the engine down until i get enough clearence to wiggle it out from the top.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

OMFG!!!!!!!!!

Whoever designed this thing needs to taken out back & beat like a red headed stepchild.

9.5 hours to get the water pump out, the timing belt on. I still have to put the thing back together!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent most of the time, taking off the A/C bracket (have to remove the compressor from the bracket first) & taking the P/S bracket off, just to get that damn front engine plate off.

The best part of it all......... the book didn't say a word about having to take these brackets off. What a friggin pain in the backside.

Oh well, I could do the job much cheaper than the dealer............about $900.00 cheaper!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 PM
madhatch

man I am with you just did mine too.
How about installing those bolts back into the p/s pump wtf were they thinking.. Nothing and i mean nothing in that engine was meant to be worked on with the engine inside it!

and I still ahve an oil leak after all that.. while I was in there I changed the seals crank n cams along with the dust seals and valve cover gaskets

Quick Reply: 96 3.0 Water Pump