2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission problems, overfull fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:18 PM
soccerjon1013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems, overfull fluid?

hello, i had my transmission fluid changed on thursday in North Ohio, I drove down towards North Carolina, but broke down in West Virginia, about 350 miles from where i had my truck serviced. the vehicle ran fine, then all of the sudden, i was driving up a hill, and it felt like it went into neutral and would no longer change gears. i let the vehicle sit for about an hr and tried again, but had no luck, it would shift into first and reverse, but would return to neutral after about 20 yards. I checked the trans fluid, and it was about 2 qts over filled. Is there anyway that this could have caused my transmission to act this way, is there an easy fix or is this a serious problem, or would there be something else that may have happened to cause this problem

Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: transmission problems, overfull fluid?

being overfilled is just as bad as being underfilled , damage may happen .. drain the 2 extra quarts ASAP.. did you check the fluid while in N ?? engine running ??? i would call the shop and say something if thats the case.. and what type of fluid did they put in ??

Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 PM
nolazach
Veteran

If they didn't use the chrysler fluid that could cause problems. The ATF+4

Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran

Yes, overfilling will cause erration in the fluid and damage the transmission. Look on your dipstick to see if that says the particular fluid it needs. My 1998 1500 4x4 takes Dexron/Mercon 3 so there is actually more than just the ATF+3 or 4 for what can berequired.But I just put Amsoil in it.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie

Overfilling should only be done after the trans is out. It's a good trick to get the truck off the road.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

yeah over filling can do that, buddy of mine overfilled mine when i first got it. caused problems until it was drained.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 PM
soccerjon1013

not sure what kind of fluid they used, so yours wouldn't shift into gear at all? but was working fine as soon as it was all drained and filled to the proper level?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: soccerjon1013

not sure what kind of fluid they used, so yours wouldn't shift into gear at all? but was working fine as soon as it was all drained and filled to the proper level?
i had it serviced in the mountains, so it was only about an hour drive on the highway, when i got off the highway the truck didnt wanna move at all. the fluid had expanded and made it not go into gear. i would drain all that out, put some new fluid in it (i think its 5 quarts) atf+4 and see if that helps. it might have burnt your clutches/bands up goin the distance you did.

but look at it this way, if the shop messed ur tranny up, they should take care of it.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
highlander73
Professional

ORIGINAL: HellaciousHemi

Yes, overfilling will cause erration in the fluid and damage the transmission. Look on your dipstick to see if that says the particular fluid it needs. My 1998 1500 4x4 takes Dexron/Mercon 3 so there is actually more than just the ATF+3 or 4 for what can berequired.But I just put Amsoil in it.
A Ram uses Dexron/Mercon 3? Never heard of that one.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: highlander73

ORIGINAL: HellaciousHemi

A Ram uses Dexron/Mercon 3? Never heard of that one.
no ram uses dexron... they all use atf+4

Quick Reply: transmission problems, overfull fluid?