Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

What is Load Leveling, Height Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM
mrsstrike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Load Leveling, Height Control

Hello all,
I am the first generation of my family to live in the city and not be a redneck (not that being a redneck is a bad thing). However as a ‘rite of passage’ im still required to have a trailer hitch on my magnum. Due to the feeding frenzy I was not able to get the Tow group added to my car.

So thinking to my self what exactly is “Load Leveling and Height Control.
Severe-Duty Engine Cooling?”

I went to the dealer parts counter to get Part numbers, and a WAG price.
The boy behind the counter said, “ If your car was not built with the tow group, then I cannot sell you any parts that don’t belong on your car.”

I hate small-minded people that are too lazy to do a little research.

So im here to ask you fine folks what is Load Leveling, Height Control
and Severe-Duty Engine Cooling?

..And yes I can assume it means special shocks and a bigger radiator. But what makes those shocks special? What feature? How much bigger is the radiator? Any part numbers?

Thank you
Cheers
Chad

Old 12-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Black RT
Professional
Default RE: What is Load Leveling, Height Control

I am a redneck Ky boy. But I will tell you what I know about the magnum tow group.My magnum RT did not have the tow pakage on it and I needed one to pull a 5x8 trailer to haul a zero turn mower a short distance.My loads were light and was only hauling short distance so I did not install load leveling shocks and larger radiator.The load leveling shock have a pump on them that pumps them up to keep rear of magnum level if tongue weight is heavy. If trailer is loaded right should not have a problem. My load was 1000 lbs. You can only order the tow pakage from factory on the Magnum RT that has the Hemi engine.You will want to get the Mopar hitch it is the best one.It look good on magnum. You can pull out one pin and remove the tongue ball and you can't tell the magnum has a hitch on it.Go to www.leeparts.com/magnum.html and you can look at parts list.I could have orderd tow pakage on RT from factory for $355. Now if you order all the parts from dealer parts it would cost you a lots of money. I ordered only the receiver/adapter/ball/and wiring harness and it cost $355. My dealer gave me a discount same price as leeparts. I had him install them also. Hitch one hour labor. Wiring harness 2 hours labor. So parts and labor cost me $600. Hitch part#82207811 for $215, tongue part#82208642 for $33. 2" ball part#82401103 for $18.00. wiring harness part382208926 for $89.00.This is set up that worked for me. Look at leepart for your needs. I hope this info helps you.
Buddy in KY

PS. if you Magnum is not an RT you may need to find out if part will work on your model

Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
mrsstrike

yes sir I have th RT model.
thank you, that is good information for parts numbers and labor time.
I will print this out and save it in my Wish list folder

cheers
chad

Old 12-07-2004, 11:59 PM
saltracer

The tow package comes with "Sachs Nivomat" shocks made overseas. Like has been said the shocks are fully self contained and have no external pumps or gadgets. Bad part is I have been told they are near $500. each. OUCH! It is important on a car with independant rear suspension to not run the car for extended mileage with significant deflection in the rear half shafts. Hard on expensive universal joints.
Howard

Old 12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Black RT
Professional

On page 126 of Magnum owener's manual they tell about load leveling system

Buddy in KY

Quick Reply: What is Load Leveling, Height Control