Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dodge losing cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
gales73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge losing cummins?

a buddy of mine told me that ford bought out cummins....any truth to this?...i sure hope not

Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Default RE: dodge losing cummins?

ORIGINAL: gales73

a buddy of mine told me that ford bought out cummins....any truth to this?...i sure hope not
No that is FALSE. Cummins owns Cummins and thats it. I have heard people trying to spread this around for a while now.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

No that is FALSE. Cummins owns Cummins and thats it. I have heard people trying to spread this around for a while now.
Isn't it true though, that Daimler Chrysler owns Detroit Diesel? I wonder why the rams never got a little Detroit.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
gales73
Rookie

No that is FALSE. Cummins owns Cummins and thats it. I have heard people trying to spread this around for a while now. You mean dodge owns cummins?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
gales73
Rookie

Isn't it true though, that Daimler Chrysler owns Detroit Diesel? I wonder why the rams never got a little Detroit.

I will ask my dad he worked at williams detroit diesel/allison for 20 years

Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
gales73
Rookie

The way my buddy described it was that ford bought out cummins from dodge and that dodge was getting cattipiller I called him out on it on spot

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Every time we start talking about which diesel company owns who I love to pull up this post from a while ago....good read:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_618521/tm.htm

Right now, Cummins makes all diesels in all pickup trucks sold in the United States. Cummins makes 73% of all diesels in all trucks sold in the world. The board of directors at Inquardo -- which isn't listed on any stock exchange -- includes 9 Cummins execs, 2 Caterpillar execs, and one Wells Fargo Bank exec. The CEO and CFO are also Cummins vice presidents. And there are Cummins execs on the boards of Daimler Chrysler, General Motors, Toyota, and Honda America. Ford, the holdout, has not been doing very well.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Basically this is how it goes down with the whole ford/cummins deal. A number of years ago Ford bought some cummins stock, not the company, not rights to the motor, not a contract. They bought about 20 percent of cummins stock. Now you can speculate as to why they did it all day long. Long story short a few years after they bought the stock, they sold it and now have nothing to do with it whatsoever. As far as the DCX detroit thing, I do remember hearing something like that, but rest assured as long as we are as loyal as we are to our cummins powered Rams, Dodge would be retarded, absolutely retarded to cancel that contract, thus they likely never will.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 AM
shonne

I will ask my dad he worked at williams detroit diesel/allison for 20 years
True.
http://www.detroitdiesel.com/about/default.aspx

Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

Basically this is how it goes down with the whole ford/cummins deal. A number of years ago Ford bought some cummins stock, not the company, not rights to the motor, not a contract. They bought about 20 percent of cummins stock. Now you can speculate as to why they did it all day long. Long story short a few years after they bought the stock, they sold it and now have nothing to do with it whatsoever. As far as the DCX detroit thing, I do remember hearing something like that, but rest assured as long as we are as loyal as we are to our cummins powered Rams, Dodge would be retarded, absolutely retarded to cancel that contract, thus they likely never will.
Very well explained. I also heard that Detroit had made an engine proto type for light duty aplications but they could't get fuel economy numbers anywhere close to that of even the Powerjokes or Duracraps. I don't think we will see a Detroit in a light duty passenger vehicle ever.
Also Wasn't it Dodge who tinkered with the Idea of a contract with Caterpiler, or was is Chevy? I can't remember but I do remember Caterpiller decided that they could not produce units fast enough to keep up with production unless they biult a new plant so they turned down the contract.

Quick Reply: dodge losing cummins?