Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

Viper Pro's & Con's

Old 12-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Mike777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Pro's & Con's

Hey, guy just wondering about some of the pros and cons to owning a viper i am looking at an 06 srt10 coupe ijust wanted some feed back from some real viper owner's, A few questions i had was as far upkeep are they pretty ez to maintain,wht are some of the things you guys like and dislike about your cars? any info would be really helpful

Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
jimchris
Default RE: Viper Pro's & Con's

Viper owners please chime in on this topic. I'm in the market for my first Viper( Gen II GTS w/strips). I've been looking at 03 Z06's but really want a Viper. I'm concerned about relliability, maintenance, and cost of repairs. If I was to take a 500 mi. trip with a GTS vs a Z06 would there be anything to be concerned about.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The car will do fine on any trip you take in it, well as long as you keep it out of the snow.

CONS
-For long trips, if in a hot enviornment it could get warm in the car (If you get the GTS).
-RT/10, at least the early ones are not for driving in the rain, top/side curtains leak.
-Aftermarket parts are expensive, actually all of them are, well expect the oil filter
-Not easy to get in and out of (GTS worse), watch out if the side sill if it is hot.
-Since you are looking at GEN II I would stay clear of 00-02 if possible, that is when they went to cast internals, look for a 96-99.

PROS
-The looks of a GEN II, best looking performancecar built in the 90s, of course that is opinion.
-Uniqueness, you are not going to see many on the road with you, where as with a Vette your hand will get tired of waving at fellow owners.
-Depriciation is done on GEN Is and some GEN IIs, you will get your $$ back when you sell it unless you do something stupid.
-The looks and questions you get. After a couple of years it will get to be a joke, but on a good day still entertains me. I have a couple good stories!!

If you have particular year in mind I may be able to add more info.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
jimchris

Thanks, info on the 00-02 is helpful.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimchris

Thanks, info on the 00-02 is helpful.
That was also available here https://dodgeforum.com/m_477829/tm.htm Loads of info in there.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
lblackneon
Champion

That's a pretty good write up.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
blacktower

Hey Guys,
I have recently become a Viper GTS 2000 owener after many years with Vette ( my last was a C5 tuned up to 435HP) and when I decided to change , even being Chevy Customer Tester, I had the possibility to go for the Z06....surely a nice and probably easier car to drive but, at least this is and was my feeling, too close to Japanese style.....anything against but the appleal of my new(old) Viper GTS is something different. More over once driving, either in the street or in autodrome, You feel really unique...particularly here, I'm leaving in Italy, where Viper is a rarity.....
My Vette was very much reliable and I never had any problems I hope to experience the same with GTS.
Looking for the next I'm convinced the new Vette ZR1 should probably beat the Viper ACR but this is another story.....
Ciao
blacktower
BlackGTS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Viper Pro's & Con's