2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

360 plenum gasket leak question

Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
rrbah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 plenum gasket leak question

I have read several posts about the gasket issue. I definitely need to investigate mine further since my oil is dissappearing as fast as I can add it.

My question is does this leak also affect performance and gas mileage? I am lucky if I can get 5 MPG downhill with the wind in OD.
Truck is 2500 stock other than 33's.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 360 plenum gasket leak question

performance - yes. a LOT.
gas mileage - i don't think so.

take it one step at a time. tune up. front 02 sensor check for clogged cat. etc.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 PM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie

It will affect mileage since it is basically a big vacuum leak. I've gained almost 2 mpg since I did my plenum.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 AM
rrbah

Thanks dhvaughan and DamascusKnifemaker for the replies. I suspected the CAT last summer and tested that. Everything tested good with that. Once it warms up outside I will need to repair the plenum and do a tune-up and replace the O2 sensor.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Since you are waiting for warmer weather to fix the plenum, do a search in the forum for the Hughes or APS billet plenum kits. Both work great from what I have heard. They replace the stamped steel plenum with a billte aluminum one. The plenum leak is caused by the stamped steel and the aluminum manifold expanding and contracting at different rates during engiine warmup and cool down. Just replacing the gasket still leaves you open to encountering this issue again in the future.

By replacing the plenum and gasket at the same time you eliminate the expansion issue, thereby eliminating the need to fix this problem again in the future. I have an APS plenum and would highly recommend either company to anybody that is going to fix their leaky plenum gasket.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Hi all,

I'm gearing up for a plenum upgrade myself..the job doesnt look too bad.. ( I have done alot of intake work on other models..ie...Chevy ) That being said.. this is my first Mopar...and my first experience with split gaskets...so..I have a question or two...

I know that you have to use some sealent in the corners where the intake, block and heads meet, do the gaskets that come with the Hughes kit overlap in this corner? lay over each other, then a bead laid on them in the corner? Or do they meet or have a small gap in that corner. I have seen some gaskets that had a "wave" pattern on the ends...( I think I saw oil pan gaskets for a Mopar that had this on the ends..??) if so.. is this so when the sealent is applied it fills this wave pattern? or is this cut off. All total newbie questions I know and apologise.. but honestly.. the only part of this whole project that scares me to death are the gaskets on this. Really dont want to have to tear this down again because I screwed up the corners on this intake. I'm also doing a 180 Tstat while I'm at it.
I would also like to know.. do you guys use any sealent on the block before placing the front and rear gaskets? If so.. I am assuming you are also usingsealent on the manifold in the areas where the front and rear gaskets are as well?or only in the corners? Any sealent being used on the new plenum gasket itself as well? And again.. I'm sure this is posted somewhere.. I have been searching.. but if you guys will put up with me....What sealents are you guys having good luck with on this repair? which is best for the corners, the front and rear gasket application? and the plenum gasket if sealent is used?
Thanks again for any replies!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Houston4x4
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Blaydrnnnr

Hi all,

I'm gearing up for a plenum upgrade myself..the job doesnt look too bad.. ( I have done alot of intake work on other models..ie...Chevy ) That being said.. this is my first Mopar...and my first experience with split gaskets...so..I have a question or two...

I know that you have to use some sealent in the corners where the intake, block and heads meet, do the gaskets that come with the Hughes kit overlap in this corner? lay over each other, then a bead laid on them in the corner? Or do they meet or have a small gap in that corner. I have seen some gaskets that had a "wave" pattern on the ends...( I think I saw oil pan gaskets for a Mopar that had this on the ends..??) if so.. is this so when the sealent is applied it fills this wave pattern? or is this cut off. All total newbie questions I know and apologise.. but honestly.. the only part of this whole project that scares me to death are the gaskets on this. Really dont want to have to tear this down again because I screwed up the corners on this intake. I'm also doing a 180 Tstat while I'm at it.
I would also like to know.. do you guys use any sealent on the block before placing the front and rear gaskets? If so.. I am assuming you are also usingsealent on the manifold in the areas where the front and rear gaskets are as well?or only in the corners? Any sealent being used on the new plenum gasket itself as well? And again.. I'm sure this is posted somewhere.. I have been searching.. but if you guys will put up with me....What sealents are you guys having good luck with on this repair? which is best for the corners, the front and rear gasket application? and the plenum gasket if sealent is used?
Thanks again for any replies!!!

The APS kit comes with very detailed instructions.I think it tells you to putthe tube gasket in the corners. I've yet to do mine butI have the APS kit here.You have to get new bolts as well.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Yeah, I ordered both the plenum and intake kits.. so I have new bolts all around. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie

For those looking to save a little cash, you can get the intakebolts seperate from Hughes for $15. And get the upper gasket from Autozone (Felpro) for $9.99. The APS kit minus the bolts comes with the lower gasket and has the new plenum bolts.

I don't see what else APS or Hughes gives you for the $45 - $50 for the new bolts and gasket.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Thanks Houston, I didnt even think to look.....could have saved a few bucks....live and learn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 360 plenum gasket leak question