Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Steering screeching noise when turned left or right

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
payneb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering screeching noise when turned left or right

Hello,

2001 Dodge Stratus -- 103,000 miles

Recently, when I was driving home one night, I noticed a loud screeching noise was coming from when I turned my steering wheel left or right. When arrived at home I played around with it a little bit. If the car is steering straight or at idle, no noise. As soon as I turned the steering wheel hard left or right still a loud screeching (kinda like an old door on a truck that opens) sounds. I took my car in to a mechanic and he said the front-right wheel ball joints were making the noise. He said the newer cars don't come lubricated. For the time being he sprayed some WD-40 and silicone spray to make the noise go away. It went away for about 4 or 5 days. Now the screeching sound is back and loud/embarrasing as ever! The mechanic told me he could replace the ball joints but he told me to wait until it gets warmer, but it's not going to get warmer for a long time here in Northern Illinois! One note: I've had this car last year through Winter and it never did this. SO, it has been through a previous Winter and cold weather.

It just sounds so bad and the sound makes it sound like my ball joint is going to break and I'm trying to avoid any type of accident! Is there anything I can do to make this sound go away or an easy fix? Plus as I mentioned before, it's very embarrasing in parking lots :/

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
payneb
Default RE: Steering screeching noise when turned left or right

I'm new with this forum, does anyone have any suggestions, I'd definitely appreciate it!

Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 PM
john1782
Professional

Have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM
payneb

Yes, that was the first thing I checked!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:39 AM
hatsforgrim333

ive never heard of it being the ball joints, my ex gf had the same problem with her car and it was a mad embarrrasin noise. i told her it was prob her power steering pump. she took it to a mechanic and thats what he said. they replaced it and no more noise so it could be that.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
alexx

the receivortheliquidPower steering has one screen ( filter)you need to clear this

Old 04-11-2008, 02:26 AM
vali

I have the same problem. My 1997 Stratus made the most annoying sound until LUBRICATED the Bushings myself. First have someone steer the steering wheel left and right all the way to make sure which side the screeching comes from....FOR me it was my front drivers side.

I jacked the front up and removed the wheel. Check the bushings they usually dry up once they wear out, YOU even might notice that a Bushing might be worn badly..that's ok it still is able to be lubricated. On my 97 stratus I had a worn bushing behind the BRAKE assembly that I lubricated with a SILICONE spray. The other bushing I lubricated was located on the upper ball joint....there is a nut that can be unscrewed so you can spray some SILICONE. Hopefully this helps.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Nick Bain
Professional

sounds like the belt is loose.

Quick Reply: Steering screeching noise when turned left or right