3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best exhaust for 07 4.7?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:49 PM
jdabling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust for 07 4.7?

Hey guys i'm looking to get a exhaust syster put on my truck. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram Big horn with the 4.7 v8. Any sugestions?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 PM
jdabling
Default RE: Best exhaust for 07 4.7?

what kind of improvements did you gain? Horse power and gas?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

https://dodgeforum.com/m_835725/tm.htm

For performance, Magnaflow. They aren't that loud ( they have a very nice tone tho) but they give some of the best power gains for a muffler

For sound, Cherry Bomb Extreme or Flowmaster 40. They are both very loud but dont flow as well as a Magnaflow. The CBE is louder than teh FM. I have the CB on my truck and it sounds amazing but I'm not sure if it'll pass inspection as it technically is a racemuffler. The FM wont have that problem

Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 AM
jdabling

ORIGINAL: BadRam1

https://dodgeforum.com/m_835725/tm.htm

For performance, Magnaflow. They aren't that loud ( they have a very nice tone tho) but they give some of the best power gains for a muffler

For sound, Cherry Bomb Extreme or Flowmaster 40. They are both very loud but dont flow as well as a Magnaflow. The CBE is louder than teh FM. I have the CB on my truck and it sounds amazing but I'm not sure if it'll pass inspection as it technically is a racemuffler. The FM wont have that problem

Will the magnaflow increase gas milage? What kind of HP increase am I looking at? I'm not looking for sound as much as proformance.
Thanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM
pit_advocate

I opted for the dual pipes from factory cats back.2.5" just did it monday and will be adding a 1" airaid throttle body spacer and bomz racing intake this weekend. Looking for some good gaines.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 PM
muscleman320
Professional

ORIGINAL: rcroll3

dont know about power but i got 3 more mpgs
so what are you getting now?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
tizzle0469

i put a vortex v-baffle on my stock exhaust pipe. left the resonator on and added a magnaflow dual tip. i think it sounds bad *** and i gained 2-3 mpg with the mopar CAI

Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

idk if there is a differance between the ram 4.7 and the dak 4.7 but ive got borla and it sounds kickass. if i had a ram though i would have gone duels out the back rather than my side exit. i took both resos off, but here in this vid i still had 1 reso on. once i took the 2nd one off, it was quite a bit louder (especially at idle and low speeds, it sounds a lot better i guess i need a new vid) but at normal driving speed the sound in mild. it really opens up when you stomp on it. the revs in the vid are to 4k (at least the 2nd is) i love the sound, but if your trying to be the loudest, then borla isnt what you want...anyway, its got a real nice tone, enjoy

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...4071623-00.flv

and to answer your concerns about performance....if you want performance over sound, your best bet is to go with a packed muffler (magnaflow/borla) over a chambered (flowmaster)....the pics below prettymuch explain themselves

packed - the airflow is almost undisturbed, and the contents which is used to pack the muffler distinguishes the sound...its normal for a packed muffler to sound a bit louder after a week of driving than right after it is unstalled, but after that prettymuch no change. idk why that is or at least i havent been able to find/figure it out. i know the stuff in the pic looks like it will heat up and burn out, but ive had no problems

chambered (sorry for the small pic) - you can see, the airflow is disrupted, even if it was a center input and a center output rather than staggered.

in fact, many people with chambered mufflers actually see a slight decrease in performace but not all, its offten too minute to tell...im no expert, but its just what my readings have found and it makes sense to me

Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my personal opinion the "BEST" performing exhaust for the 4.7L will be one that runs from a set of headers to the stock 2.25 into a after market HIGH FLOW "Y" Pipe into a SINGLE 3" system using a 3" High Flow CAT and 3" Single in Single out High Flow MUFFLER. This set up will cost you slightly more then a "CAT BACK" system that gains you little since they don't address the most restrictive part of your exhaust system... the CRAP Factory "Y" pipe. No matter what cat back system you install, if you retain the factory "Y" then you accomplished very little.

You may have heard people say that the 4.7L does NOT respond to headers... in most cases this is because they swapped out the headers but retained the restrictive factory "Y" pipe which is just as restrictive as the factory Log style exhaust manifolds.

I currently run Gibson headers into 2.5" primary's then into a High Flow "Y" into a single 3" system all the way back to the tip... using a Magnaflow High Flow Cat and Magnaflow Flow through Muffler.

I used the 2.5" Primary's since I plan to BOOST and did not want to have to go back and change the exhaust... So right now N/A the primary's are a bit too large.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best exhaust for 07 4.7?