1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

Old 07-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

I am getting tired of that cruise control surging my engine RPM's 100-200 RPM's. So based from what other owners did to fix this was to replace the throttle position sensor. The dealer cannot figure this out. If there are no codes, then there are no problems.

So anyone ever changed out a TPS themselves? Anything I need to know beforehand before and after I change this out?

Old 07-08-2004, 05:53 PM
rockadaous
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

plug and play. it'll take longer to get it out of the box than installing it. good luck

Old 07-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Kensai
Champion

Welp, that solved it! If anyone has any engine surges while on cruise control, go get your Throttle position sensor changed! Even if the stupid computer does not report any problems with the TPS. That's why the dealership won't replace it if the computer says there is nothing wrong! I went out to NAPA auto parts and bought a $37 TPS replacement. Swap it out in less than a minute! Rockadaous wasn't kidding on how fast the install was. Just 2 hex screws to unscrew and that's it. Best to do this when the engine is cold so you won't get baked from the engine heat or get burned accidently. No more random engine RPM surging when on cruise control! I was worried my MPG will come down because of it.

Old 07-10-2004, 09:01 PM
rockadaous
Professional

glad to hear your D is up and running. Makes you sick to pay that much $$$$ for something that isn't running right.

Old 07-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Kensai
Champion

These are the quirks you have to deal with I guess. Everything is so computerized, I cannot really blame the dealership as they have a set of guidelines they have to follow from Chrysler/Dodge company. I blame Chrysler more than anything. Even the dealer admits this is an ongoing problem not only on Durango's and Dakota's, but also the RAM trucks as well. I know Chrysler is aware of this and they won't do anything about it until someone gets hurt and it is all over the news. And there is not much the dealership can do if the diagnostics came back clean on their system. I am just happy that TPS was not an expensive part and this part is something a regular consumer with basic know how can replace themselves. I only have 5k left on my extended warranty so I am milking it for all I can get out of it! Already got a return heater pipe that is attached to the water pump that is slightly leaking antifreeze. Gonna take it back to the dealer to see if it can qualify under my extended warranty. Else, I'll have to do it myself.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 PM
SkyboltAl

Man, I guess I just keep getting hosed by my dealer. Replaced 3 TPS's at $1200 each. They only last me 12.5 months on average. The dealer says that nobody else's ever burns out. I feel very unique and special.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: SkyboltAl

Man, I guess I just keep getting hosed by my dealer. Replaced 3 TPS's at $1200 each. They only last me 12.5 months on average. The dealer says that nobody else's ever burns out. I feel very unique and special.
Welcome to the forums.

Question: $1200 each?????????????????????????? I am sure you placed that decimal point somewhere. Otherwise, I'll make a flight over to your house and change your TPS personally for $1200. Some dealerships usually cover the part for 3 years unless the TPS is not under the 3 year part plan. Other than that, if the number two TPS goes out and it was from dealer, I'd be looking to buy a replacement TPS from aftermarket. I bought my TPS from NAPA auto parts. Cannot remember how much, but it was reasonable. I think around $35-$40?? 5 minute self install.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
restlesswynd

ORIGINAL: Kensai

ORIGINAL: SkyboltAl

Welcome to the forums.

Question: $1200 each?????????????????????????? I am sure you placed that decimal point somewhere. Otherwise, I'll make a flight over to your house and change your TPS personally for $1200. Some dealerships usually cover the part for 3 years unless the TPS is not under the 3 year part plan. Other than that, if the number two TPS goes out and it was from dealer, I'd be looking to buy a replacement TPS from aftermarket. I bought my TPS from NAPA auto parts. Cannot remember how much, but it was reasonable. I think around $35-$40?? 5 minute self install.
How easy is it to replace the TPS Sensor? Where is it located? I need to replace mine as well.

Thanks,
Rando

Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Doctor Holliday

I had this same problem, the engine blipping about 200 rpm during cruise control. Also, I had a surging problem at idle at the same time. The fix was new throttle position sensor and idle air control. A friend of mine who has a garage did it for about 200 bucks total. I could do it myself, but didn't have time at the time.

According to him, he got a code on it. I've subsequently gotten idle speed codes from a check engine light when I've scanned the OBDII. Either the idle air control is going out again, or I've got a vacuum leak somewhere. I'll wait until it codes differently. Otherwise, I just clear the code, because it just says engine didn't reach expected idle speed.

And my idiot dealer couldn't figure out the TPS problem either.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if its the same as the ram (probably is) its on the side of the throttle body, drivers side. 2 #25 torx screws and an electical connector. might have to remove the air cleaner, might not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor Replacement