1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine suddenly got louder while driving

Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 AM
wzs10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine suddenly got louder while driving

The engine noise from my 2000 Durango suddenly got louder while I was driving on the interstate at about 70 mph. I thought it might have been from the cold weather, but I had been driving for about 20 mins and the engine was warm. The check engine light didn't come on, and it continued to shift gears as normal all the way home, the car was just a lot louder. Any suggestions???

Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 AM
deerang
All Star
Default RE: Engine suddenly got louder while driving

does it sound like the engie is roaring? Like a loud fan noise? If so thats your fan clutch seized up... with the engine off, try to spin the fan thats connected tothe engine via a belt... it should spin rather freely...

A seized fan clutch will really hurt your fuel mileage, and thats about it... it may put some extra strain on your accessories belt, so if its old it may break, but thats about all I can think of...

if this isnt the case, give us a more descriptive sound, as well as the engine size in your Durango...

Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

If it is the clutch fan and you also have the electrical fan(s), you can just remove it and keep it off. The electrical fan will keep it cool.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[If it is the clutch fan and you also have the electrical fan(s), you can just remove it and keep it off. The electrical fan will keep it cool.]

Onebadkota:

This is not accurate advice. The electric helper fan(on the Durango anyway) is there to supplement the mechanical fan when the A/C is on, and when it is super hot out.

By removing the mechanical fan, you will overheat when stopped in traffic and at slow speeds. You would have to run the A/C all the time to have the electric fan operate.

IIRC, the helper fan did not come about till the 00 model year.

Don

Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea the helper fan is on the durangos w/ the 4/7 i thinkg and if its not the clutch fan when that happened to me on my old truck the after-cat o2 sensor had fallen out so maybe check the exhaust for leaks??

Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What about just a plain old exhaust gasket?

There are plenty of other things that it could be. First lets get the model, year, engine, and what ever that could help this problem.

I think a lot of us tend to jump on problems without the proper info. This can lead to excessive parts, time, and money. This is why we are all here right?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:39 PM
deerang
All Star

lets just hope the OP remembered about this forum...

Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM
treas

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I have a 2006 Dodge Durango that is doing this exact problem. When starting it and driving it for just a few minutes, it's nice and quiet. After about 5 minutes the engine gets really loud (sounds like bus/18 wheeler/ - like some monster engine).

If anyone has any ideas on what this may be, I'll be keeping my eye on this thread regularly to answer questions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

What engine do you have in your D?
I have the same roar coming from my 98 5.9L...I was wondering why it sounded like an SC engine...lol I guess Ill look into that-anyone know if there is a DIY for replacing the clutch on the fan?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by treas
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I have a 2006 Dodge Durango that is doing this exact problem. When starting it and driving it for just a few minutes, it's nice and quiet. After about 5 minutes the engine gets really loud (sounds like bus/18 wheeler/ - like some monster engine).

If anyone has any ideas on what this may be, I'll be keeping my eye on this thread regularly to answer questions.

Thanks in advance.
A 2006 is a 2nd gen durango, please start a new thread there you will get better advice there. If you don't know how PM one of the moderators and they will help you. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine suddenly got louder while driving