1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

something is draining the battery

Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
yotekiller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something is draining the battery

My wife has a 93 IntrepidES with the 3.5 V6. She has 65,345 miles on it. She bought it brand new and up until this Jan. has only had minor problems, and has had the oil changed, transmission checked,along with tire rotation done every 3,000 miles. In January it started to have what I thought was a battery problem. I removed the battery and took it back to our local Dodge Dealer and found out the battery was good and only 2.5 years old. Mechanic said it just needed to be charged up.I knew we had put in a new one at some point, but couldn't remember exactly when. Had them charge it and reinstalled it into the car. Seemed to work alright, until she let it sit for more than a couple days without using it. ( she is disabled and does not drive much in the winter months ). So I charged it again, battery took charge. This time I got into the car and shut everything off. Radio, which runs the power antenna, front and rear heater and air controls ect. Check to see if any auto dimming lights were staying on longer than normal ..... nothing, until I leaned over to the passenger side air bag and it was humming somewhere behind that. My question is, what could be making that humming noise behind the air bag, that is drawing all the juice from the battery? I have tried looking under there with a flash light , but see nothing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Yote

Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: something is draining the battery

If you have the ATC (Automatic Temp Control), there is a small fan (usually behind the dash emblem, at least that's where my 97's is) that senses the cabin temp. When the door is first opened, it comes on for about 1 min. It should turn off after that. That's prob what you are hearing. Let me know if the sound goes away after the door has been closed for a while (key out of ignition).

Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 AM
yotekiller

Yes I have ATC. It seems to run with or without the key in. Will this open up even if the controls are shut off ? I have been starting the car every morning now for the past few days and it starts with no problem after sitting 24 hrs., but that noise is still there !

Old 02-29-2008, 10:09 AM
yotekiller

I meant will the fanKEEP RUNNING, not open up DAH :-)

Old 02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

1st, have you determined that the sound you are hearing is emiting from this fan? If so, it is suposed to come on every time the door is opened (even with the system turned off), but is suposed to shut off after 2 min with the door closed (or will stay on for 5 min with the door open). It can be manually turned off (for testing purposes), but I believe it would come back on the next door cycle. Manual off, key to on possition, press off button. The power draw is very small for this fan, and unless it NEVER turned off, I don't think it would be your problem. I am only trying to resolve the "sound" issue first (it may be somthing else).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: something is draining the battery