2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97 Dakota starts then quits

Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
bids1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dakota starts then quits

Recently my 97 Dakota v6 will start then quit. It starts again right away the immediately dies. I can keep it running with my foot on the gas and it drives perfectly with no surging or hesitation. The check engin light does not come on at all and I do have a code reader but don't know if their will be any codes w/out a check engine light indication. Then all of a sudden it will work fine but when I shut it down it again starts and dies. I have put dry gas and injector cleaner into the tank but it has not helped. Do you have any suggustions as to what direction I should proceed to cure this problem? It does have a remote starter on it but I don't see how that would effect anything because I can keep it running by keeping my foot on the gas.
Thanks,
Wally[X(]

Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM
noodle
Professional
Default RE: 97 Dakota starts then quits

There should still be codes saved w/o a light. Run that first.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ur TPS sensor is shot

Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

How many volts is your battery putting out and is your alternator working correctly?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 AM
bids1

Chris, I will have to check that and get back to you but I see no indication that there is any problem with the battery or the charging systum but if you would tell me more about the effect this would have or relate to the problem I am having, I am always ready to learn something new! Thanks for the reply, Wally

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
ricbrk
Professional

I'll put my 2 cents on a throttle position sensor. I go to the local Auto zone to have codes read. They come out to your car and do it for free.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

I had a similar thing happen to me, but not always would putting the gas down help, sometimes, it just wouldn't go and it was my coil. Get it scanned it will help.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
bids1

Scanned the vehicle and no codes were found + all emission components passed. It appears that at 1ST start all is well then if you shut it off and then restart that is when the problem occurs. Any more thoughts?[/align]Wally [/align]

Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Try replacing the battery. If it is in the same condition, return the battery and get your money back. That will eliminate it as a suspect. You would be surprised how many times the battery is the culprit in many odd problems.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
jphares

i had the same problema while ago...went through everything people are telling you to do...no codes...battery was actually already brand new and tested fine....turned out it just needed a good cleaning in the air intake. blasted it with carb cleaner and scrubbed with a toothbrush and wiped it out with a clean rag. its been runnign great ever since. Give that a try..doesnt hurt to just try a little cleaning.

JP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Dakota starts then quits