Print Wikipost

Heater/AC will not blow correct

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater/AC will not blow correct

I have read posts on this before but I never really found an answer .. so before I call the dealer ... I wanted to ask ....

My 2001 Durango will blow great out of the defrost vents and the very rear vent... It will do this on no matter what setting the directional control is on .... When I turn it on defrostor/AC however the compresser will engage like normal .. just the airflow is not getting diverted correctly ... I am assuming it is just a blend door problem ...

So is it a linkage or a motorized control that is broken ? Is it easy to get to ? Do I have to remove the dash ?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heater/AC will not blow correct

So pretty much your saying that, fan speeds and temperature are working, just not the direction of air flow? Are any sounds made when cycling through the points? Dont quote me but if it is like my 99 your settings are controlled via vacuum hose and would suggest looking for a leak.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checking out dak-dur i came along a tab for checking the vaccumm reservoir. Its at the bottom of the page. http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=46154

Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie

I played around with the controls some and here is what I have found ...

When I turn the "directional" selector to any setting floor,vent, defrost ect ... I hear what sounds like a electric motor noise or it could be some sort of air actuated device also .. I do hear a "changing" sound everytime I change the selection.. it does not sounds the same everytime... meaning some are short and some are long movements..... it makes the same sound everytime I go back to a certain setting...

I have no air to the floor, barely any air to the front vents .. seems like all or most of the air it going out of the dash defroster vents this does not change no matter what setting I put it on .. the very rear heat seams to work ok ....The vents half way back on each side for the middle area does not blow hot air but always blows cool air ... the rear controls however will adjust the heat for the very rear just fine ...

Is some sort of linkage off or something ?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say it is a linkage problem if you can hear the vacuum and motorized movement when changing selection.

This happened to my 93 camry. Everything works except for the air flow direction. Sad thing was, we had to tear down the dash to get to the A/C assembly and voila, saw the linkage arm came off. This repair costed me a couple hundred bucks mainly in labor because of the entire dash removal. Otherwise, it would have been a quick 2 second fix.

i am almost sure that for you to repair this possibly similar issue on the Durango, the dash will have to come out to get to the A/C core assembly unit. My buddy removed my dash on the Durango to replace my heatercore and it was a 4-6 hour tear down job.

If you have to go this route to address your issue, this is a good time as any to inspect and possibly change out your heatercore, otherwise, you may end up tearing down the dash again to replace the heatercore in the future.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Justin_98Durango

I am new to the forum, but the thing I had a problem with was the same on my 98. There is a vacuum line that came up hooked in the engine compartment. It is on the fire wall and runs through the area that the heater core hoses go through. The line that it came unconnected from was laying down into the engine compartment a little further so you may have to feel around a little bit back in there to find it.

If that doesn't work, then you may have a problem with another area of vacuum under the dash or other area in the line, just have to run the heater on and listed for a leak.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:45 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie

I wasn't able to find any lines near the heater core hoses .... (drivers side) Also i think I just found out my AC compressor is shot ... It is real loud when i turn it on ... I added freon (little low) and it quieted down a little .. I added red dye and could not find any leaks .... I think the compressor is shot .... Would this have anything to do with the air direction? I figure it would not bit does not hurt to ask ...

Any other ideas ?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Justin_98Durango

None that I can think of, I just know that a similar thing happened to me, my front bearing went out of the AC compressor and I currently have it bypassed to keep from shreading the belt.

As for the direction, I am not sure on the 01's? Is yours the 4.7? If so, you may want to get a chiltons or haynes and try to run down the relays and vacuum to see if you can find a problem in your switch.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
dwhisnant

This was the culprit for my A/C and Heat only blowing through the defrost. The left tube was unattached and therefore there was no vacuum. Not sure if this might be similar to your issue. A picture is work 10 words...

[IMG]local://upfiles/87758/8B9FF6F02DA24B609A647655BCFF1EC8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
ranger473

dwhisnant,

I have the same problem and on your post you had posted a photo (I think) but the link is no longer active. Would you mind sending me the photo and any additional info you can recall? My email is ranger473@gmail.com

Thanks!
Kim

Quick Reply: Heater/AC will not blow correct