2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What posi unit?

Old 03-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Boardingkaos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What posi unit?

Ill be racing my truck this season and i need to find a posi unit. I admit i dont know much about them but what do you guys have? I have a 1998 1500 sport 2wd, what should i look for?

Another random question, Does the "Sport" mean anything other than different bumpers?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Default RE: What posi unit?

For posi units, I know most guys will suggest the Auburn LSD or the Detroit True Trac. The Auburn is slightly cheaper than the Detroit. The Auburn also uses clutches, whereas the Detroit used gears, which supposedly are much more durable. Auburn is known for its dependabilty and quality though, so you don't have to worry about it breaking or anything. Hometheaterman runs an Auburn LSD, and he doesn't shy away from recommending it to anybody, so I am sure it's a fine unit. My stock LSD is tearing apart, so I will need to be replacing it soon. My choices are between these two, decision has not been made yet.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup he pretty much summed it. The Detroit and Auburn seem to be the ways to go. Research those two and see which one fits your needs best. I chose the Auburn as it seemed to be better for what I wanted.

Silver Dodge is actually having a problem with his Auburn after almost 3 years but he is the only person I've ever heard of having a problem with one.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Instigater

What usually comes in a 2WD? I only spin one tire when power braking, I think they both would spin when the unit was new.(not original owner) I think mine is worn out, and to rebuild is only going to wear out again, right? What is a good way to go for a DD like mine, that wants to shut them BOWTIES up every now and again? Make and model name or P/N would be greatly appreciated, so I know exactly what you are talking about. THNX

Old 03-30-2008, 12:51 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Here is the detroit unit. I've had my eyes on for quite some time. Im about 50 smackers away and then I have to save up for bearings etc... Almost there. Im figuring by may - june I'll have that sucker in.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

This is not the cheapest price, but you wanted 2 look at them and summit is easy to manuever for me at least. I don't know much about the auburn so ill leave that to the auburn experts.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Boardingkaos

how do i know what size and everything to get? sorry, ive never had to deal with these before

Old 03-30-2008, 01:02 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

well you have a 99 1500 which means you have a chrysler 9.25" axle. The parts you need will be for that axle. I linked you directly to the one that is for your axle (as well as mine). check out www.ringpinion.com for parts for your axle.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:02 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that price seems awful high for that thing. I called around and got the best quites. If you look on Auburns site under dealers or whatever I found one in VA called Rye Valley Gear and Oil and they had the best price on the Auburn and were great to deal with.

I'm not sure on the Detroit as I don't remember who had the best price on it but I think there were some a lot cheaper than that. Not 100% sure though.

Also is that a Detroit Tru Track or a Detroit Locker? Summit has a bad habbit of making things look like they are a part they aren't. Like I've had a couple things they have sold me for the wrong vehicle telling me thats what I needed. I'd double check to make sure before ordering from them on this one.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:06 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

More specificaly... here http://www.ringpinion.com/PartCats.a...hrysler%209.25 And to answer another portion of your original question that was not answered. The "sport" is just the appearance package I believe. As for the difference beyond the bumpers, I honestly couldn't tell ya. I know my grill is different than my buddys sport of the same year. I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Wow that price seems awful high for that thing.

Also is that a Detroit Tru Track or a Detroit Locker?
Price at retail for the detroit is usually 490 + I havent found lower unless you go to ebay for around 450? I'd rather have piece of mind that im buying a good part rather than an ebay factory 2nd.

Yes it is the truetrac at summit. I always cross reference my part numbers before I purchase anything as well as price shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What posi unit?