3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parking lights wont turn off!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
04MOPAR
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking lights wont turn off!

Okay, I first noticed this problem a month ago, I looked outside and saw my parking lights were on, I went outside about 2 am to see turn the light switch off, but the switch was off, and after turning it on of several times it became apparent that the lights just werent going out.. Couple hours later they went out by themselves and that was the end of it, didn't happen again, until last night.. Parking lights on, this time they didn't go out and it drained the battery.. I've looked and seen that a few others have had this problem, but I have yet to read of a solution. If anyone knows of one, please let me know, thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Goat420 (09-20-2023)
Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parking lights wont turn off!

I've parked my truck and turned my lights **** off a couple times and they've stayed on. Simply just turned it back to on and back off and they went right off. Maybe there's a short or loose connection that needs to be addressed, I'm not sure.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
dbmowersports
Rookie

It's funny you mentioned this,

I was on here looking for this very same issue, but on an '06 Caravan. Like Steven says, I just turn it back to on, cycle the lights, and they go out. It doesn't do it all the time either.Itseems to do it more when it's damp outside. I looked, and noticed I have a cracked headlight lens. You can see condensation on the inside of thelens. Maybe there is some corrosion in the headlight or something.

Jason

Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
dreman
Professional

It sounds like a relay not letting go when the switch is turned off.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
scottjhl

Its a problem with the 02 ram that my dad had too... I do believe its an issue for all of that eletonic style.

You NEED to shut off the lights while the car is in "Run" mode on the igintion. If not they will stay on. so if you are driving with your lights on shut the car off, start to get out or whatever then turn the **** to off... they will still remain on.

IMO its a programming issue that dodge has on that year/style.

my 08 doesnt do it, but it does...its wierd, i hit lock on the keyless and they stay on, hit unlock, then lock and they shut off...

Just make sure you shut your lights off before you shut your car off.

Hope that helps.
-Scott

Old 04-05-2008, 01:42 AM
mmstar23
Champion

i didnt consider it a problem. its not my running lights but my headlights....when you have the headlights on, then shut off the truck then turn off your lights...the running lights turn off but my headlights stay on for about 20 seconds then shut off. i thought that was normal

Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

The first place you might check is the relays in the power dist. box under the hood. The white relays are lame at best. I've had problems with my wipers, and occassionally, the head lights don't turn on. I cycle them, and they turn on. The replacement relays are around $20 at Autozone. On mine, they're all the same, so you might check that, and just try switching them around to see if thatverifies the bad relay possibility.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:26 PM
04MOPAR

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

The first place you might check is the relays in the power dist. box under the hood. The white relays are lame at best. I've had problems with my wipers, and occassionally, the head lights don't turn on. I cycle them, and they turn on. The replacement relays are around $20 at Autozone. On mine, they're all the same, so you might check that, and just try switching them around to see if thatverifies the bad relay possibility.
I pulled the relay out and of course the lights went out as they are supposed to, so then I switched with another relay and the lights still didn't turn off, I played with the switch and still no luck, I pulled off the switch and the lights still stay on, so theres gotta be a short somewheres, might have to take it in to the dealer, but until then I will just keep the relay out

Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

i didnt consider it a problem. its not my running lights but my headlights....when you have the headlights on, then shut off the truck then turn off your lights...the running lights turn off but my headlights stay on for about 20 seconds then shut off. i thought that was normal
That is normal! Dodge like many other auto makers have done that as a security feature! They have a delay and let the headlights stay on for 20-30 seconds! This is to give you some extra light when getting out of your vehicle at night and to help you see where you are going Front door, garage door etc.... You can tell when you have done this because your parking lights will not be on, just your headlights! You can cycle your headlight switch once on and back off if you want to cancel it! Otherwise they will stay one for the 20-30sec. Or you can turn your lights off before turning your vehicle off and you will have the same results with your lights going off immediatly!

[IMG]local://upfiles/79459/C7C6024C410346BC9398AB3B63BF814F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2008, 05:29 PM
04MOPAR

ORIGINAL: dodgenitto

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

That is normal! Dodge like many other auto makers have done that as a security feature! They have a delay and let the headlights stay on for 20-30 seconds! This is to give you some extra light when getting out of your vehicle at night and to help you see where you are going Front door, garage door etc.... You can tell when you have done this because your parking lights will not be on, just your headlights! You can cycle your headlight switch once on and back off if you want to cancel it! Otherwise they will stay one for the 20-30sec. Or you can turn your lights off before turning your vehicle off and you will have the same results with your lights going off immediatly!

[IMG]local://upfiles/79459/C7C6024C410346BC9398AB3B63BF814F.jpg[/IMG]
Yeah the delayed headlight off feature is actually a good one, I have used that lots of times, but my problem is totally different, the parking lights are on, and they just stay on till the battery dies, just enough to **** me off [:@]electrical problems suck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking lights wont turn off!