3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mega Cab AC Problems UPDATE/SOLUTION!!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:52 AM
bplatek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mega Cab AC Problems UPDATE/SOLUTION!!

After continued trips back to the dealer complaining that the AC in my 06 Mega is not adequate, they finally were able to try something. It appears Chrysler has researched teh problem and come up with a work-around. In the Mega Cabs there is a tunnel that flows air to the back seats. The way this is accomplished is there are two mesh filters up front in the ducting that divert air from the dash to the rear, and to your feet area (haven't you ever notices your right foot gets cold but your face is still hot)?

My dealer called me up and said they wanted to test this new fix on mine and I agreed. They take the dash apart to get to the AC plumbing, and permanantly remove these filters. This allows more air to come out of the front panel and not as much getsdiverted to the bottom and rear.

I picked the truck up yesterday. It was 110 here in Phoenix. It was noticeable right away. There is a lot more volume of air coming out of the front. panel.

Today, I had to take a 150 mile trip. It was 109. This was the first time I had to turn the AC fan down two speeds because it got too cold.

I was told they are probably going to turn this into a TSB. Hope this helps.

Now if I can just get them to address the rear-end whine at 70 under accel not decel.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:42 PM
bplatek
Default RE: Mega Cab AC Problems UPDATE/SOLUTION!!

Well I have had another day to test the results and it wasn't pretty. today it was 110 degrees and I spent most of the daygoing fromstore to store. The truck would sit for hours at one location and when I got in, it just would not cool down. And another thing that was obvious, thevolume of air that used to go to the back seat was dramatically reduced. My kids were baking back there.

The volume of airup front definately increased, but the ability for this unit to cool a hot truck has not improved with this modification. After twenty to thirty minutes of steadydriving it would definately cool down, but stop and go traffic still wreaks havoc with this under performing system.

Another thing I noticed today. It seems that now my system will not cycle through repeated changes from recirc to outside air. After I change it three or four times, it stays in one mode (can't tell which mode). I have to turn the truck off to get it to cycle again. Then you can hear the mixing door change the mode.

It did increase the volume of air up front, but did nothing for the temperature coming from the vents. I would be suprised if it was lower than 60 degrees for the first 20-30 minutes.

Back to the dealer...

Old 07-02-2007, 04:03 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I don't think that any AC unit works all that well in a vehicle in stop and go traffic. The system requires air to go over the radiator type thing in the grill of the truck to get it to cool down. And with those temps, add about 10-15 degrees for being stuck on a hot road with other vehicles running around you increasing the air temp, that AC unit doesn't have a chance.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a QC, not a Mega, so I cannot address this problem with actual knowledge of the Mega's a/c woes, but I would imagine that (under the hood) the two a/c systems are similar.

I notice on my QC that the condensor core is situated to the left of the radiator rather than in front, therefore it most likely doesn't get as much air drawn through it at idle or stop-n-go driving as it would if it directly in line with the fan. Perhaps an aftermarket electric fan solely dedicated to the condensor core would dissipate the heat more rapidly allowing the a/c system to be more efficient at cooling at slower driving speeds.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Gamble.Bass
Amateur

I had a similar problem with my Mega Cab during in town driving, took it back to the dealer twice, they checked the blend door, told me it was blowing 46 degrees on max/recirc and I call BS on them... Called my freind/sales guy (truck was less than 2 weeks old), He got the Shop Manager to go take a look, and he agreed they could get it colder... So, they drew down the system, let it sit for an hour, and drew it down again... And found that it was like 1/2# low on refridgerant, then they manually filled it to specified system capacity... It still takes a few minutes to cool the cab down, but it blows 46 degrees on regular and 40 degrees on recirc...

FYI, the automatic machine was not catching the refrigerant shortage because it was supposedly within tolerance or something... Anyway, mine's blowing frosty after less than 5 minutes and I am happy with that... Now if they'll just fix the sunroof leak...

Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 PM
itsmejto
Amateur

QC hemi 2003

My A/C was lousey when I first bought this truck, dealer said it's within spec, not so I said, so they took a closer look. Tech said it was over gassed and it worked a little better. after a year or so the compressor died and they replaced it. Seemed to work worse than when it was new. So off to see an A/C tech I know.
We evacuated the r134a, flushed the system and then recharged with the old R-12 (with correct lube oil added)
The difference was night and day, chilly, not just cool, even at idle it can handle 41F with outside air at 100F+.
On recirc it drops to 34F and the compressor shuts down for a while to recover the correct pressures.
Compressor may not last as long methinks, but I prefere it cold.
BTW, Ram truck condenser coils (the small radiator) is on the left side of the front next ro the main cooling radiator.
It has its own electric fan that blows all the time when the A/C is on, or should.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got your Mega Cap AC issues fixed.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:11 AM
bountyhunter2006

My uncle had the same problem in his megacab and the reaplced some rubber housing in the vents and the diffrence was like night and day

Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
budda

So I contacted Dodge today to see if they would help me out and that told me "sorry but no, I am not aware that there is an issue with the AC units in the Mega Cabs" This was a nice way of saying (go and pound sand buddy!)My first dodge and my last if I dont get this AC problem fixed.

I open my rear windows and my AC is always on the highest setting and it still takes 10 minutes before it gets the cab even close to cool. The sad thing is, It's only hitting 85 right now. In a few weeks it will be 90 for 4 months!

I am going to try and get up the corp ladder and see if anyone will listen.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's unfortunate, but Chrysler has ALWAYS taken the total denial approach on any widespread issues with their vehicles.
My local dealer's service mgr. still tells EVERYONE who comes in with a blown up LSD that it's the first he's ever seen one fail!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mega Cab AC Problems UPDATE/SOLUTION!!