2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to put transmission drain plug?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to put transmission drain plug?

Where do I want to install the drain plug in the pan? Here are pictures. It has that little spot that sticks up you can see in the picture where I moved the magnet to the side but normally the magnet is stuck around that I guess so it doesn't slide I don't know. Anyway where do I want to put the drain plug so it doesn't hit anything. Even though this transmission has a shift kit and all should it still be the same as the stock one as far as where to put the plug?

Can anyone circle where I should drill to put the plug? Thanks.

Name:  APSTransmissionVBandFluidPicture-7.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  96.4 KB
Name:  APSTransmissionVBandFluidPicture-6.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  95.7 KB

The magnet moved to the side. Hard to see the spot that sticks up in this picture though.
Name:  APSTransmissionVBandFluidPicture-8.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  69.0 KB

Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Default RE: Where to put transmission drain plug?

After talking to Wayne at APS and him trying to explain to me where to put it I think I've got it right. I marked it with a blue sharpie and circled it in red here. You can see where I'm planning put it. Is this the right place? Name:  APSTransmissionVBandFluidPicture-9.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  65.0 KB

He told me the funny looking corner should be on the top right and then go to the top left for this. Then he said directly diagonal from the magnet. So this is the correct place right?

Also I just wiped down the inside of the pan best I could with paper towels. Should I clean it with brake cleaner or anything like that or is wiping it down good? Seems to have a little dirt in it from me wiping it down but I plan to go over it again after putting the plug in. Whats the best way to clean the pan?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

as long as its towards the back for the drain and where you circled will be fine , and when you are ready to install the pan use brake cleaner with paper towels wipe it clean , do not use a cloth towel !!! How come you never got a deep trans pan ??

Old 04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

as long as its towards the back for the drain and where you circled will be fine , and when you are ready to install the pan use brake cleaner with paper towels wipe it clean , do not use a cloth towel !!! How come you never got a deep trans pan ??
I thought about it but just didn't really see the need to spend a extra $200 for what I did with it. I'm still thinking I may get one down the road at the next fluid change but I'm not 100% sure.

Where I circled I looked in the transmission where it would meet up and it looks like there is room there but it will be close to something. Will that part be moving? I'm just paranoid as I don't want to mess up a $3600 transmission.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

how far will the drain go in ???? that should of been my 1st question .

Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I'd guess half an inch or so. Maybe slightly more or less but I'd say around 1/2"

Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

check this out , i think it the same place where you want yours at.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/trans.php

Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Ok I think I got it. One mistake I think I made is I drilled the hole with the magnet still in there and it seems like it got some of the metal shavings on it. I didn't think about it before hand like I should have.

Anyway I got most of the big metal shavings off but it has some tiny pieces still on it. Should I just put it back in? Is there a way to get it clean? Or should I replace it?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

check this out , i think it the same place where you want yours at.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/trans.php
I had read that but he didn't put it in a spot anywhere close to where Wayne told me to put it.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Ok I think I got it. One mistake I think I made is I drilled the hole with the magnet still in there and it seems like it got some of the metal shavings on it. I didn't think about it before hand like I should have.

Anyway I got most of the big metal shavings off but it has some tiny pieces still on it. Should I just put it back in? Is there a way to get it clean? Or should I replace it?
Well, the point of the magnet is to pick up metal shavings, so I'd say it did it's job. Are you saying that the shavings are stuck to the magnet so hard you can't get them off easily? You could try using a pair of tweezers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to put transmission drain plug?