2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 Durango Radio Problem

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
jtb1422
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Durango Radio Problem

Having an intermittant issue with my stock radio/CD unit in my 2004 Durango. Every once in a while when I start the vehicle, the radio is dead. No clock, no sound, no sign of life. The next morning or possibly even the next time I start it, everything works fine.

Could it be something to do with the delay timer that runs after you shut the engine off? Maybe it is sticking or cutting off the power to the unit?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 PM
paulwinner
Default RE: 2004 Durango Radio Problem

Had the same trouble day after we bought the car. Just take thr surround trim off (pulls off) take out the four screws holding the unit in and reseat all the plugs on the back of the unit. I had to do this several times, I guess there was a bad connection on one somewhere. The problem has never reappeared in over 2 months. Good luck !!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
jtb1422

Paul, Thx for your reply, I will certainly try your suggestion. However, I have a real hard time thinking that it is a loose connection. If it was a connection, be it connector, wire, ground or whatever, wouldn't the issue come and go WHILE I am driving?? This only happens between starts of the vehicle. In fact, last night after work, nothing, drove home to road noise. This morning, radio turns on and works fine. Go figure.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
jtb1422

I hope I don't jinx myself, but Paul's suggestion seemed to work. It was acting very strange, even had one day where the radio played OK but the entire display looked like every other LED was burned out. Then it quit completely. BUT, it only changes from working to not working upon shut off and start up, never intermittantly while driving over bumps. Strange.

Anyway, long story short, I took the advice, removed the radio, reseated every plug, reinstalled it and everything has been working for about a week. Knock on Wood!!!

Hope this helps someone else. Will post again if the problem returns.

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Durango Radio Problem