1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

HELP !! How do I disable my factory alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Raver_Returns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !! How do I disable my factory alarm?

I am brand new to this site, so I don't know if this issue has already been addressed. I just bought a 1995 Avenger and I am having trouble with the alarm. For some reason unknown to me it just starts going off at random times. I can't even lock my doors while the car is at home or at work because the alarm seems to set no matter how I try locking them. Is there a simple way to make it where it won't arm, or if not, how can I completely disable it. If I do disable it, I realize that I will probably lose the functionality of my remote, but will the power locks still work? I'll put an aftermarket keyless on it a little later.
Can I just unplug the anti-theft module? For that matter, I don't even know where to find it on this car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP !! How do I disable my factory alarm?

firswt off the acting up is likely the two door switches they are about $6 a piece feom the parts store ...
If you feel the need to unplug it it's located in the rear panel behind the front seat near the seat belt retractor (near floor level)

Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Raver_Returns

Thanks for the information. Actually, I think I just found the problem with the false alarms. There is a broken electrical contactor on the trunk release. I'll take care of that later. As for the anti-theft module, I did find it behind the panel next to the back seat on the driver's side. (At least I think that's it.) It must be. My remote no longer works. After I unplugged it, though, the "SECURITY" light on the dash still comes on when I lock the doors. Is that normal. It's making me questioin that I unplugged what I needed to. Any thoughts?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
noregrets
Rookie

Raver, we disconnected our factory alarm on the '96 and the light is still on. Our alarm was not going off, but it was killing the battery. In other words, I guess it's normal b/c ours is doing it. The only difference is that we cut the wires at the fuse box for our alarm and it's still on.

Ang

Old 03-15-2008, 10:47 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

the electrical connector on the latch is the trunk light ... doubt that will cause the trouble

Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Raver_Returns

Thanks Ang & Venge. That info was just what I needed on both counts. Yeah, I figured out that the contact on the trunk latch was what what keeping my light in the trunk from coming on, but I thought it might also affect the alarm. Thnx for clearing that up. Either way, I think I would rather use an aftermarket keyless entry system. Thanks for helping me locate the module. Ang- thanks for letting me know about the light on the dash.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Raver_Returns

Just an update on this one. After I unplugged the anti-theft module, I expected to lose the use of my remote, but for some reason the lock buttons on the door were not working altogether right. So I plugged it back in and all went back to normal. A little more research, and I finally found the answer on here from an old post. Worked just great AND my remote still works. Just thought that I would repost it just in case it was of interest to anyone. Thanks everyone.

Original: James92TSi

All you have to do to disable a 2G factory alarm is ground the green/white wire in the drivers door (you can also find the wire in the drivers kick panel). Test to make sure you have the correct wire, as the parking light circuit is also green/white.

The green/white wire normally gets grounded when you unlock the door using the key (which disarms the factory alarm). Permanently grounding that wire permanently disarms the factory alarm.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
SPIKENOX07

I'm quite ignorent when it comes to cars, but i'm willing to learn. Maybe you guys already answered this question. On my 1995 dodge avenger the alarm goes off randomly. I was leaving my car unlocked so the alarm wouldn't go off but then i got robbed. To not wake up everyone on my street, I took the fuse out of the horn. I can't seem to find the fuse for the alarm under the hood or under the stearing wheel. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

there is NO alarm fuse ...
Your door switches, are a likely cause for random going offs ...

Old 04-24-2008, 05:00 PM
SPIKENOX07

I guess I forgot to mention that I have replaced the door sensors. The alarm still malfunctions.

Quick Reply: HELP !! How do I disable my factory alarm?