1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Engine Vibration and Stutter????

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
scg87
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Vibration and Stutter????

Okay, I actually own a '95 Concorde, but it's the same thing as an Intrepid, so I figured maybe one of you guys could help me out. My car shakes pretty badly when it's idling in Drive. For example at a stoplight or in the drivethru. If I'm just holding the brakes, the car shakes and vibrates. Also, when I'm coming to stop sign or light, it's like the car sometimes jumps out of gear. When I come to a stop, and press the gas again to take off, the car just revs up for a second, and then makes a thunk and takes off. It will also do the same thing when I get in my car and try to back out of the driveway. The car's just rpm just rises, and the car suddenly jumps into gear and backs up.

I'm really at a loss here. It's not the motor mounts. I thought about maybe the torque converter, but would it not do that while driving in gear too?? I also thought about the idle sensor, but that doesn't seem to fit either. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?? Thanks in advance...

Old 04-28-2008, 12:47 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine Vibration and Stutter????

I assume no codes... It sounds like a classic vac leak. Try spaying eather around hoses and compoents (careful where you spray) with the engine running. You are looking for a RPM increase. Also can be a sticking MAP sensor, or maybe a dirty TPS (the TPS usually causes a code thoug, but maybe not).

Old 06-03-2008, 01:13 AM
tom01973
Rookie
Default RE: Engine Vibration and Stutter????

what is your idle speed in drive.it kinda sounds like a dirty/bad idle speed motor.you didn't say what motor you have but if you have the 3.5 you might check the timing belt if it slipped it will cause a rough idle and lossof power

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Vibration and Stutter????