3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?

Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 AM
hemi2004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?

Today my Hemi died twice while driving after issuing an electronic throttle warning on the dash. I installed a cold air induction this weekend, and I think that the increased air flow with the stock exhaust may be causing excessive heat and / or back-pressure, giving me this problem. The new air induction worked great for a day or two, noticable power gain and a nice throaty rumble from up front. Any input?

Old 02-11-2004, 09:34 PM
lcphotos
Default RE: 5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?

I bought a 2004 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi in it and it began experiencing some of the ETC problems. Bad idle, heavy RPM's on startup. We received a Recall notice on our Durango about a Capacitor under the dash that was faulty and could have caused a dash fire. I went to the dealer and talked to them about both the problems. Once they replaced the capacitor, it eliminated the Electronic Throttle Control problem also.

Just a thought..

Old 02-11-2004, 11:50 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intake will not increase back pressure. This is impossible, the exhaust is already free flowing, and no intake could cause a bottleneck. The engine only needs so much air to begin with, and can't use "extra" air to increase back pressure. Your issue is a common problem with the Hemi. Take it in to your dealer for a computer "flash" or re-programming.

Bill,

The following users liked this post:
Truck _guider (03-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 PM
BigTruckHemi05

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 that needs a EGR Valve. Could that be causing my ETC Light to flash?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Macs04Ram

it has happen to me once, but a few weeks later i found out a squirrel made its nest under my hood and chewed some wires after i fixed them i haven had the problem

Old 10-24-2009, 07:21 PM
tj111action
Default 05 dodge electronic throttle problems

I own a 2005 dodge ram hemi. It seemed to hesitate when you first started it up and then put it in drive it wouldn't go for a second and then would pick up. Felt like it was out of tranny fluid. Then it died on my wife. Got it to start back up and the etc light was flashing had irregular idle and had to limp it home with no throttle. It only has 63,000 on it and the dealer was saying it was the throttle body or the pedal assembly. I just couldn't believe that the parts would have failed already with the low mileage. I Investigated it myself and found that on the left side of the engine (when sitting in drivers seat) at the back of the fuel rail the electrical connector closest to the fire wall was laying against the fuel line. Upon further inspection i found that the pink wire with the yellow stripe had rubbed on the fuel line to bare wire. I fixed it with a pink or samon colored heat shrink butt connector, and then taped the wire loom up real good. Problem fixed! I could imagine that this is a common problem due to the connector location, and considering the dodge wiring harness isn't covered with wire loom like other manufacturers, which makes the wires more suseptable to damage. Hope this helps someone it saved me a ton of headache and money! God bless! With prayer, and faith ne thing is possible!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Holy old thread resurrection batman!!

Welcome aboard and thanks for using the search function!!

Also, thanks for the find on your fix. Hopefully it will help others with the same problem.

Enjoy the boards.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM
dawgs_fan31
Default electronic throotle control light

I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 w/ the hemi . I have a problem but only on long trips.After driving a long time the etc (electronic throttle control) light comes on and performance is terrible. I then must pull over disconnect the battery cables to reset the computer , and then it is fine. this only happens when we go on vacation. related to multiple hours of continuous driving. never happens driving locally. Is it the tps(throttle positioning sensor), or is something else causing the senor to turn the dash light on.had it hooked to a scope today, but there are no faulty readings, tech said its probably because i reset the computer. Please help, thanks ,Tim

p.s. has done this the last 3 years of trips. but i dont want to push my luck and have it go totally out

Last edited by dawgs_fan31; 12-14-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to scan for codes the next time it happens. Then you will know where to look.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
dawgs_fan31

I would if I wasnt 700 miles from home along side the road, lol. was just seeing if anyone had an idea without doing that. But, thank you for the reply, and btw is there a way to post this as a new thread and not a reply to another???

Last edited by dawgs_fan31; 12-14-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?