2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Vibration issues when stopped at an intersction

Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
dishawcues
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration issues when stopped at an intersction

Hello to forum,
I just purchased a 2004 Neon SXT. This is just a great little car and it is bewildering why Dodge has decided to abandon it. Needless to say I am hoping to get an issue resoloved here in this forum. The car runs great, just repalced the breakes but I am experiencing a vibration when I am stopped at an intersction and begin to slowly remove my
foot from the brake pedal. When the the car sets at a dead stop and in gear it will begin to go forward but the whole car skakes until I step on the gas and it appears to smooth out, If car is in neutral it doesn't shake, only when it is in Drive. The engine tack is very steady and the motor seems to run fine. My first impression is that it may be coming from the drive train. Any comments or suggestions as to what to look for would be greatly appreciated. The vibration feels like a rough idle but I don't like it's the motor.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
inthewerks
Veteran
Default RE: Vibration issues when stopped at an intersction

possibly a motor mount bushing issue that cant be felt while driving? just when idling. on my car, when i come to a stop, it will feel rough a second and then goes smooth again. and my car is normal.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
KARR
Record Breaker

I had the same thing happen to me before. I thought it was because I need a tune up.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
inthewerks
Veteran

the first thing i noticed when i needed a tune up was my motor bogging down on me when i accelerated. that was because my plug wires were bad. he just has a little extra vibration. if its a problem you notice when you first come to the stop and goes away, i think your ok. but if it constantly vibrates when your in gear at idle, im thinking might be the mounts.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM
mat663
All Star

Do you have any Check engine lights on?
I have one that means Pressure steering switch...and if im correct, that supplys oxygen to the engine while idling so that it doesn't stall. I gotta get it checked, but i dont know where it is located, i started a topic asking where the PSS is located but no one really knew.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mat663

Do you have any Check engine lights on?
I have one that means Pressure steering switch...and if im correct, that supplys oxygen to the engine while idling so that it doesn't stall. I gotta get it checked, but i dont know where it is located, i started a topic asking where the PSS is located but no one really knew.
What light means that?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
mat663
All Star

I think its P0551

Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Ok does it have a symbol on the dash?You know like the battery has a symbol.I havent hooked my car up to my uncle computers yet.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
mat663
All Star

All cars have the same symbol...which is orange yellow square looking thing that resembles the shape of a simple engine block.
I dont know if you have the white cluster with the tach or the black one with out it, but on the white with tach, the check engine light will be on the right side.

If you think you have a check engine light, you can either go to Autozone to have them scan the car, or you can do:
turn the ignition all the way without starting the engine and then turn off...do this 2 times, and then do it a third time and dont turn it off. for the 3rd time you turn the key, wait a few seconds, and the gauge cluster (in the mileage area) will say all the codes that refer to the problems. usually it will have "P" followed by 4 numbers...

Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 PM
dishawcues

Thanks for the input on this issue. My orginal post was early morning before I drove the car for the second time. Low and behold the dreaded Engine light appeared. I took the car to a very reliable mechanic, he looked it over quickly and said it feels like a tune up so I left it with him. He calls me back and says there was an recall to the computer system and he would have to flash the CPU, up load the new firmware and then do the tune up. I said OK. Calls me back an hour later and asks if I can return the car that I just purchased? He told me the error code was P0301 ????? I think thats right. Bottom line error indicated misfire in cylinder 1. He said they did a compression check on all cylinders and 1 was 80-100 and 2,3,4 were 150-160. He said the head would need new valves and suggested I return the car to the dealer. Done deal. too bad I really liked the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration issues when stopped at an intersction