3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mopar oil =who makes it? mopar oil filter who make it? Plugs can i run plaitum champions

Old 04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
05ramhemi4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mopar oil =who makes it? mopar oil filter who make it? Plugs can i run plaitum champions

Hey guys my qusetion I just bought a 05 hemi and the orignal owner had the oil changed at dodge before i picked it up.. He said and the paper says mopar oil $3 a quart.. Does that sound like regural motor oil total was like
$35.00

I think it was 5w20..

who makes mopar oil?
who makes mopar oil filters?

I heard that chaning 180 tstat help powr anyone done it to a ram ... I heard of a guy with a charger got like 10-15hp on a dyno.
any other mods would help with power and fuel mpg?

ALso do you guys run chamipon plaitum plugs?

Is there any benfit running 1 stage colder plugs?

octane says in the manual 89.. i thought chaning 1 step colder run 87?

thanks

steve

Old 04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: mopar oil =who makes it? mopar oil filter who make it? Plugs can i run plaitum champions

Most likely it's 5w-30, not 20. Oil bought in quarts is about $3 -- nothing special there. If you buy it in five-quart jugs, it'll run a bit less. 5w-30 Pennzoil Hi-Mileage is something like $12.70 for the jug. I buy three jugs at a time which gives me two oil changes and a bit to add, if needed. $35 is more like $5/qt. but the price probably included the filter at eight bucks or so. You'll find a regular debate here and on other forums about the "best" filter, "best" oil, etc. Your "best" bet is regular oil changes in the 3K to 6K mileage range using decent quality materials.

The 180 'stat won't add 15 dyno horsepower -- maybe three. I put a 180 in mine mostly 'cause the original was beginning to stick closed. Mopar filters are made by the lowest bidder at the time. Platinum plugs are not recommended in the Hemi. Colder plugs are for engines with boost (super- or turbo-charged) or chips. How many miles are on your new ride? It may be time for plugs -- 30K is the recommended interval, 40K-50K is probably OK. I put NGK 5306s in mine. Remember, there are sixteen plugs.

87 is "acceptable" 89 is preferred. 91 is OK, but a bit overkill on a stock motor. 93 is not recommended unless you're running a chip or boost. If the truck didn't have an owner's manual, you can download one at dodge.com. Very useful document for regular maintenance issues.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, power can be added... e-fan, aftermarket exhaust, and intake kits are not terribly expensive and cumulatively may add 30 hp and some torque. Serious power costs serious $$$.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
05ramhemi4x4
Default RE: mopar oil =who makes it? mopar oil filter who make it? Plugs can i run plaitum champions

i dont like penzoil.. long time ago my sister ran it in her civic pulled the heads and was gunky. I was always been a mobil1 person..
I was wondering what brand of oil Mopar was..

I also called shell today to find out about walmart sysntihc.. THe guy says its say as shell with diffrent logo.. Is shell oil reycyled oil? They told me to talk to a tech tomororw to find out if its recycled..

(((((((INFO ABOUT THE 180 TSTAT)))))

I found the webiste http://www.300cforums.com/forums/per...at-16rwhp.html
The car is a Chrysler 300.. whp Dynomax cat-back. 284whp.. Changed 180tstat jumped up to 300hp & 334tq

16 plugs?

I have a hemi its just a 8 cycle i dont have the flex fuel thing.. The truck bought it yest has around 20,635miles on the od.
What kind of mpg are you seeing?

On the overhead Coming from sac on 99 south bound driving around 60 i saw around 19-20 or little better flat no wind.. is that normal?

the truck is a washintion truck i dont no if it makes a diffrence in milage.. thanks

steve

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, sixteen plugs. You're not due for replacements for a while. Be aware: the back four are a bear to change. On the oil type, I've used Pennzoil for over twenty years. I suspect the Civic hadn't had proper oil changes. As I said earlier, it's more about frequency of oil changes, not which oil/filter. As for the 300C, I have one as well. It's never been dyno'd -- probably never will be, but that extra 16 ponies was not solely a result of the 'stat. NO, Shell probably has NEVER sold recycled oil. Take the information from the O/H console with a truckload of salt -- it can mislead you. There is only one way to accurately determine mileage: fill it to the brim, drive it, fill it to the brim again and do the math. Be advised: it is NOT a good idea to top it off every time. My truck gets 15+ on my commute, around 14 in town, and almost 18 at 80 on the highway. If I had to drive only 60 on the highway, I'd go crazy!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM
05ramhemi4x4

I called Dodge they said my Truck only has 8 cyclinders and 8 sparkplugs.. what year is your truck?

Bec the flex fuel 8- cut to 4 cyclinder started in 2006...

Is your truck a flex fuel?

I just popped the hood.. doesnt look that hard..

I saw coils what by side to the sparkplug or something in that naturl..

Yur saying theres plugs under the coils plus under the wires?

The civic yes.. I was the bother that mainted it i changed it every 3,000 miles and she moved to washintion she changed I belive 1 time on oil can henry and i wen to get the car. PUlled it apart and noticed the gunk ..after renstalling head I thought something was wrong. I switched to casrtol gtx and the sluged or black was gone..

Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All 5.7 hemi's have 2 plugs per cy, 16 in total, the 5.9 has one plu per cy, for a total of 8, just be real glad you don't have to change plugs on a hemi 300/C, charger,

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 05ramhemi4x4

I called Dodge they said my Truck only has 8 cyclinders and 8 sparkplugs.. what year is your truck?

Bec the flex fuel 8- cut to 4 cyclinder started in 2006...

Is your truck a flex fuel?

I just popped the hood.. doesnt look that hard..

I saw coils what by side to the sparkplug or something in that naturl..

Yur saying theres plugs under the coils plus under the wires?

The civic yes.. I was the bother that mainted it i changed it every 3,000 miles and she moved to washintion she changed I belive 1 time on oil can henry and i wen to get the car. PUlled it apart and noticed the gunk ..after renstalling head I thought something was wrong. I switched to casrtol gtx and the sluged or black was gone..
Couple things, whichever dealer you called never take your truck there...and please tell me which one because I think i'm local to you.

MDS (multi-displacement)is what shuts down 4 cylinders....not flex fuel which is just running a engine off E-85 Ethanol fuel. Sure it's cheaper but you use twice as much.

Yes there's a plug attached directly to the coils and one to each plug wire.

Sludge is caused by infrequent oil changes...pennzoil dino oilsludging is a wise tale. Think about it...it's cheap oil and only cheapasses buy it. Cheapasses always try to stretch a penny which turns into stretching oil change intervals to save money.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
05ramhemi4x4

Build date is 2-5-05

I just but the truck.. If it has MDS (multi-displacement)is what shuts down 4 cylinders is there anything on the dash or odemeter that tells you when its working?

I called dealer in maryville dodge they ran the vin and said i didnt have the (mds) system.. I mistaked it for the flex fuel that gm has i thought it cut of cyclnders to..

I also called a dealer in merced and ran vin and called dealer in madera all of them say my car doest have it....... I have no idea guess i need to go look

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Your 05 doesn't have it...only 06+ 1500 non mega cabs.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
05ramhemi4x4

i didnt want to change 16 plugs

i thought yu said all hemi have MDS (multi-displacement)is what shuts down 4 cylinders?

Can we run platium plugs ? champion

my truck is a 05 quad cab hemi 4x4

DO i was going to run SHell synthic 5w30 -- or should i stick with 5w20 mobile 1 synthic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mopar oil =who makes it? mopar oil filter who make it? Plugs can i run plaitum champions