Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust System, Increase in MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
ThunderRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System, Increase in MPG?

Is it worth the expense to add a performance exhaust? Has anyone seen an increase in mpg?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
4x4fantasy
Professional
Default RE: Exhaust System, Increase in MPG?

Generally speaking, when adding performance parts, the increase in gas mileage comes from using the same amount of throttle input as you did before the parts were added. But, like most owners, when you add more power, you end up using it, which negates any increase in fuel economy.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:40 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I don't know, I have always bought performance parts ignoring the MPGs crap. I buy performance parts because I want more horsepower. If I can get some extra MPGs while I'm driving around slowly, then that is a bonus, but I wouldn't advise anybody to buy with the sole purpose of gaining miles per gallon. Honestly, a lot of these mods are just minimal. It is until you start digging into the motor and changing the camshaft, fuel injectors, valvetrain etc, that is when the "bolt on modifications" will become even more useful. But for the average person like me, I buy the performance parts for pleasure. I did the exhaust system for the looks and the sound, period. I got the longtube headers for torque and highend. I bought my K&N intake kit because I wanted more air being pushed through the engine to utilize the headers and exhaust. MPGs really are never part of the equation to me. I keep my expectations low, and then I will find myself happy when I gain a MPG because I drove cautiously all day. Bottom line, buy performance parts for the performance aspect of things, otherwise you may be dissapointed. If you want better MPGs, abide by maintainance first. Oil changes with new oil filters, new spark plugs and wires etc. A vehicle can only warp it's stock mpg expectations so much. However, on the other hand, you can defiantly add more horsepower to a vehicle than what it was at stock, but it isn't going to get you better MPGs because you will be using it after all that hard earned money.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
justviper1
Veteran

01ram360 you are in the diesel section and we don't have plugs or wires to do maintenance on. also depending on what kind of an exhaust set up you go with it can increase mileage but you will have to drive it normally and not use the extra power to get the better mileage.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the most part. . .any increase in mileage will be slight.

you can remove the muffler completely, or add in an aftermarket muffler. that may or may not give you any mileage increases, however it will lower your EGT's by up to 200F depending on how your truck is stup power wise.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I apoligize fellas, I wasn't even paying attenton to the diesel section, just assumed I was in another gasoline truck section.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM
4x4fantasy
Professional

Its not like your not welcome here, justviper1 was making sure you knew where ya were.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:44 PM
azram2500

I did the mbrp muffler delete on my 08 6.7 and can hardly hear the difference in noise with no muffler.
so the stock one could not have been doing that much restricktion. but it does look cool..

Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 AM
justviper1
Veteran

ya i wasn't tryin to create any problems just stating that we don't have plugs n wires to change or upgrade.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System, Increase in MPG?