2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Shifts Late at High RPM

Old 05-09-2008, 11:53 PM
MagnumVP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shifts Late at High RPM

1999 Dodge Ram Quad
5.9L V8
Automatic Transmission

When I start from a complete stop the transmission doesn't shift into 2nd until about 3000 RPM's. At that point the trucks shifts and the "Check Engine" light turns on. It still shifts smooth (well at least for this truck). I dropped the pan, replaced the filter and 5 Qts of ATF+4 fluid. Removed the Negative from the battery (resetting the computer) and try it again. Same thing (bummer, I was hoping for a$45 fix) and even drove it around 10 miles to let the fluid heat up but same thing. I also notice that it shifts from 3rd to 4th rather high as well.

What could be the issue? I am going to take it down to get the diagnostic code read to see what could possible be the issue, but wanted to go into the mechanic with an idea of what it could be.

Thanks

Magnum

Old 05-10-2008, 10:04 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Shifts Late at High RPM

Two things off top of head:

Throttle position sensor (hey, it's a $40 fix if that's what's wrong.)
Thottle valve cable is misaligned. See this link for adjustment. Free fix, but you will need to find out why it slipped if it did.

If your truck has a digital odometer you can turn the key on,off,on,off,on fairly rapidly and then read the code in the odometer. You must turn the engine fully on, but DO NOT crank it to start. Post that code here and we'll be able to better help.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 AM
MagnumVP
Professional

I tried to get the readout of the code from my odometer by using the on, off, on, off, on but couldn't get it to read out. Do I need to turn it on, leave it until the dash lights come on or turn it off before the dash lights appear?

Old 05-10-2008, 05:22 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Leave it in the "on" position that last time until it gives you the code.

I have heard that on some 1999 models this procedure will not work, though, just FYI.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:56 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

I do leave it in the 'on' position the last time, but how long do I leave it in the 'on' position during the first and second times.

Just some more information about it. Perhaps this will help diagnose what the issue is.

From the truck being turned off. I start the truck and take off. The first time that the transmission attempts to shifts it goes to 3000 RPM's and the shifts. From then on, it shifts normally. Every once in a while it acts up but never as bad as the first time. It never shifts hard, it has no problem down shifting...at least yet and it sometimes takes a while to shift from 3rd to 4th, but never at really high RPM's.

If I disconnect the neg from the battery and reset the computer, the "Check Engine" light turns on when the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd during the initial startup and high RPM's.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Shawn86
Professional

when I read my codes, I leave the key in the on position each time untill the lights turn on for three times,on the third leave it on and it might bring up the code. If not, run to the nearest kragen and have them give you a free reading.My truck is doing the same exact thing yours is, I replaced the tps and it helped a little bit, the old tps was rattling! I just have tobaby the throttle to get it to shift properly.Mine is throwing a 1740 code but currently i don't have the dough to throw at it. The 1740 calls for replacing the tcc solenoid, and the overdrive soleoid ( or so all the tranny shops tell me). They're each about 100 bucks from a dealer, cant get'em at napa. Let us know what she says.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM
MagnumVP
Professional

The error code was P0720. Replaced the Output Speed Sensor, erased the error code and the problem went away.

Dealership wanted $130 to dagnose and I fixed it for $19.95.

Thank you for all the help.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

you can try to clean the TPS before swapping it out... there isa diy writeup at the top of the forum. usually you'll see the torque converter lock & unlock when it's noisey so it may not fix it... as mentioned... check the TV cable.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:32 AM
patrick.bergbauer9@icloud.com

I have multiple codes P0442, P0455, and P1740

Old 02-15-2020, 04:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick.bergbauer9@icloud.com
I have multiple codes P0442, P0455, and P1740
So you post in a 12 year old thread? C'mon man. Most of those folk aren't even around any more. Do it right. Start your own thread, tell us what problems you are seeing, what you are driving, and anything you have done to address the issue. Help us help you.

The following users liked this post:
MoparFanatic21 (02-15-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Shifts Late at High RPM