Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins 5.9l Oil Consumption Problem

Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 PM
howmi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins 5.9l Oil Consumption Problem

I own a 2005 2500 Quad Cab with a 5.9l cummins. I have approximately 84,000 miles on the truck since new. I've recently noticed an over cunsumption of oil problem. I've had to add 2-3 quarts of oil since my last oil change 2300 miles ago. I took it to a dealership and they opened up the air intake system to the turbo and said the engine has been dusted?? They said the vehicle has excessive blow by and blowing oil out the vents? They're claiming I didn't change the air filter enough and thus caused dirt and dust to damage the turbo blades and possible pit the engine.They wanted me to authorize them to tear down the engine to investigate the pistons and cylinders, but warned me that the preliminary evidence points to lack of maintenance and Dodge wouldn't stand behind the 100,000mile warranty. I've always had the truck serviced on time, but lack documentation of all the services.I was reluctant to authorize the tear down withthat kind of prognosis, so Ijust picked up the truck and wondering what to do. Any suggestions??

Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: Cummins 5.9l Oil Consumption Problem

Sounds like total, 100% BS.

Tell them to put that "prognosis" in writing and tell them you are contacting the regional rep.

Dealers don't void warranties, only the manufacturer can do that.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
howmi

How do I find out who the regional rep is or how to contact them?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
triton
Record Breaker

unfortunately, what they told you is correct. If you did get dirt through the intake somehow, you could have piston and/or ring damage. Take a good look at the fins on the intake of the turbo. They should be sharp and smooth. If you see any pitting or damage of any kind.... you may surely have a problem.

You could ask them to do a compression test before the break down to be sure you have issues. That would mean you'd need to leave the truck for a few days.

Clean oil and clean air is top priority in these trucks !!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Where was it serviced? If it was serviced at a dealer then there are records. Even if you had it done at another service center, quick lube, whatever there should be records. If you did repairs yourself did you buy parts on the old credit card? May be records there too. Also check the inside (clean side) of the air intake, give it the white glove test. Is there dust on the intake walls? Look at your turbine compressor, is it pitted or damaged in any way? Just some thoughts.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I don't know Rich. It's just like the injector problems. They get out of fixing them claiming the owner used bad fuel. If by bad maintenece i.e,.... not cleaning the filter regularly to the point dirt gets through, I wouldn't doubt one bit they say... sorry !

You're correct though that a dealer can't decide. Although they have the option to try if they wanted. Maybe another dealer would be a thing to try.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:49 PM
cumminalong

Couple ways that you can go about it.

Log everything you do.....who, what, where, when, other that were there, results, requests.....EVERYTHING! I went at it with my local dealer, almost to the point of buy back.

1 - Tell the SM that you want to speak to the rep. Good luck with that. Talk to the GM or owner and inform them of the issue in service.

2 - You can call Cummins Customer Service line at 800-DIESELS

3- You can contact the local Chamber of Commerce or the BBB. They have most likely had an issue before that required them to contact the rep

4 - Write a letter to Dodge. I don't have the address off hand, but it's in the owners manual. They will send you a response and put the Regional Rep in touch with you.

5 - Contact you State Attny Gen. They can help you IMMENSELY.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:57 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: triton

I don't know Rich. It's just like the injector problems. They get out of fixing them claiming the owner used bad fuel. If by bad maintenece i.e,.... not cleaning the filter regularly to the point dirt gets through, I wouldn't doubt one bit they say... sorry !
The thing with that is that THEY are required, by law, to prove that what YOU did CAUSED the problem.

They would have had to actually find bad fuel in the tank.

Same thing with an air filter. A clogged filter is gonna trap more crap than a clean. Unless they can prove that caused the issue, it'a BS excuse on their part.

Every turbo out there is "dusted". No air filter is 100% effective.

These guys will push until you push back. If you let them stick you, they will. They'll make more by charging you the labor than by getting the warranty rate on it.

He needs to call his State AG. Once you have the paperwork in hand from them, it tends to get more results. I had a bastard of a time with my truck until I got them involved and documented EVERYTHING. Get receipt confirmations on everything and CC everybody and there brother when you send stuff.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2 cents. A dealer cannot void your warranty. That has to come from a district manager. If you need a major part for a CTD, the dealer has to call the star hotline and get approval to repair the problem. The tech has to report all findings as to what is the cause. The star hotline can deny the repair if they fill that the problem was customer caused. IE. abuse, neglect, mis-use. . You can get the service manager to ask the district manager to come out and inspect the vehicle, but the service manager will not supply you contact info for the district manager. The Magnason-Moss act is great in helping you, but the dealer can deny filing a warranty claim for you if they think that Dodge may not reimburse them for the rapair. Please don't think that I am full of dealership Kool-Aid, I am here to help, not defend Dodge policies. I deal with this alot and I do know how the system works. I agree that the system has many flaws.
As far as keeping records on maintance, the following is straight out of the warranty manual that comes with your truck.....

Owner's Warranty Responsibilities:
-- As the vehicle owner, you are responsible for the
performance of the required maintenance listed
in your owner's manual. DaimlerChrysler recommends
that you retain all receipts covering maintenance
on your vehicle, but DaimlerChrysler cannot
deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts or for
your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled
maintenance

Old 05-21-2008, 10:10 PM
jakebrake
Champion

A dirty air filter actually filters the air better. Unless the air filter itself fails (ie collapsing) no dirt should make it pass the filter. How bad is the blowby? Did they actually measure it or just blowing wind up your skirt?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cummins 5.9l Oil Consumption Problem