Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Sending Unit?

Old 01-11-2005, 12:12 PM
white_mts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending Unit?

Hello,
Can anyone tell me where exactly is the sending unit and what does it look like on my 94 RAM 5.9L? I am getting fluctuating oil pressure and I have read in other threads that it is most likely the sending unit. Also is it difficult to change?

Thank you,

Old 01-12-2005, 04:07 AM
Hemipower04
Professional
Default RE: Sending Unit?

i dont know about the ram but a sending unit is usually for the gas. It is the gas tank and look kinda like an L. Im not sure for the oil though.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:24 PM
white_mts

According to some of the other posts there is a sending unit for the oil gauge that is located near the distributor cap. I was wondering where exactly it is and what does it look like. If anyone has changed one is it a tough job?

Thanks,

Old 01-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Snafu

Yah, there is a sending unit for each gauge. I've never done one on a Ram, but it's always been easy on everything else. I know it's absolutely BURRIED back there, and it's a bitch of a spot to get to. Might be easier to do it from underneath if you can get around the transmission. Definately check the electrical connector for corrosion first.

Here's a pic of it-

Old 01-12-2005, 03:43 PM
white_mts

Snafu,
Thanks a lot; at least I know what it looks like now. Sorry for the stupid question but I'm having trouble getting my bearings in the picture. What angle are we looking at?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:51 PM
CumminsGal21
Captain

I have a 96 Ram Diesel. I've had to replace the OSU twice now. I don't know if it's bad wiring or what. Anyways. Mine is underneath the engine. It's a pain in the a$$ to get to. I've found that it's easier for me to go from the top...lil hands and arms. You might have to go through the bottom though. I know my part only runs aobut 30.00. I also got a print out of where exactly it's located from the local autozone. Hope that helps. Once you find it...it should only take about 20 mintues to get it in and out.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:00 PM
white_mts

Thank you Cumminsgal21. The dealer wanted $36 and AutoZone wants about $28. This ought to be a fun job with the snow and rain up here in MA. I need a garage!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:15 PM
CumminsGal21
Captain

The first time I had to replace mine it was snowing...so I know how you feel. Just try not to get snow down your shirt or pants...that sucks. Good luck with it.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Snafu

ORIGINAL: white_mts

Snafu,
Thanks a lot; at least I know what it looks like now. Sorry for the stupid question but I'm having trouble getting my bearings in the picture. What angle are we looking at?
That picture was taken from under the truck, looking at the back of the engine with the transmission removed. Just to the left of the sending unit is the distributor cap. You'll find the sending unit between the distributor and the passenger side cylinder head, right on the back of the engine block. It's a littler harder on the gas motors than on the Cummins because the intake sticks up so far on top of the gas motors. It's a MAJOR pain just to change the distributor cap and plug wires. There is NO room.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:54 PM
CumminsGal21
Captain

No room huh?? Yet another reason I have my Cummins. Before this one I had a 97 Ram 2500 with a 360.... Absolutely no room in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sending Unit?