1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Over Heating

Old 06-16-2008, 02:18 AM
fil327
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Heating

Hello all and thanks in advance. My 1998 Avenger Sport over heats in traffic and lights I replaced the radiator, radiator cap, thermostat. I took it to the mechanic and they cant find anything wrong with it since it wont overheat while in their care. Can some give me a list of things I should check or replace. I asked them about the water pump but they said it was fine. Again thanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Over Heating

Are the Radiator fans kicking on ??? Temp Sensor for fans ??? Fans working ??? Hoses not collapsing ???
How do they know the pump is "fine"???

Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
fil327

I ask myself that same question how they know the pump is ok I guess if it wasnt it would over heat all the time or more often. I replaced the upper and lower hoses so they are fine. Only have two fans, one comes on when I turn on the A/C and the other when the engine temp gets high, as for the sensor I dont know. How would I check the sensorsto see if they work ok allof the time.Is there a way to tell if thewater pump or fans are malfunctioning sometimes?Thanks

Car has 97,000 miles on it and its a v6 1998

Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If the fan is kicking on I'm guessing that the sensor is OK ... The pump could be weak causing it to overheat ... I've even seen a Catalytic convertor plug cause it to overheat

Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
fil327

I took it to a diffrent shopand theykept it over night and cant find anything wrong with it. I dont know what to do. It overheats so randomly it hard to figure out whats wrong. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 AM
khooper
Rookie

If worse comes to worse, hard wire the fan to a toggle switch and mount the switch somewhere in the car that is easy for you to access. That way when you're driving down the road and you notice your temp starting to get a little high, flip the switch and let it run as long as you need it to.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It obviously has an issue as there are thousands of them running around daily with no trouble ...
If it's truly overheating the fan won't save it either

Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
fil327

Just wanted to say thanks but its time to take it to the dealer no more guessing for me. They said for 81 bucks they will put in on a mchine and find out the problem. He did say it could be several things but one thing stood out as he mentioned the list(temp.relay) so hopefully its as easy as that but thanks again.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:54 PM
fil327

Hello all just wanted update everyone on the overheating issue on my dodge. Took it to the dealer and they kept it for 2 days they ran test on it andcouldn't find anything wrong with it. They flushed the radiator tested the fans water pump a list of things and said they are all working fine. They ran it for45 min with no problems, he did notice that I had some over spray on the radiatorof when I had the car painted and he suggested that maybe the over spray is clogging the radiator fins. But then hewas likehe didn't really know if that would cause it to over heat randomly especially if it only over heats at stops and while idling. So I don't know what to do if the dealership cant find the problem who can. Please any suggestion on what to do.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

How often does it overheat ??? Is it intermittant ??? constant ??? if the dealer only ran it 45 minutes might not have been long enough

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Over Heating