2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Shock Bolts

Old 06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
joeuc23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Shock Bolts

Tried a search, but no luck. Hopefully there is someone out there on a beautiful Saturday hoping some poor fool needs help?!?!

I am replacing the shocks on my truck. I was able to remove the upper bolt and even break free the lower (removing the flag nut). But my problem is I can't remove the lower shock bolt!!!

I can turn it within the shock, but it is tight. I can compress the shock and move it back and forth and see play where the bolt enters and exits the suspension arm. I've tried lube, heat, hammers, impact wrenches....no luck. Been at this for about 4 hours and still working on the first shock...aggravating.

At this point, I may be cutting off the bolt, then getting a new one. Does anyone know the bolt size that I will need?

Thanks a bunch.
Joe

1999 Ram 1500 SLT QC 4x2

Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Front Shock Bolts

i'm not positive, but i'm going to guess its about 13-14mm or maybe 1/2-9/16. i had to replace one of my lower rear bolts, and i think i used a 9/16.

if it comes to it, you should be able to take the flag nut to a hardware or parts store and come up with a match. can you punch the bolt out from the end ?

Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what I did any not 100% positive as it was a few months ago but took a extension and put it on the bolt then took a hammer and knocked it out through the hole. So basically just put the extension on the back. I think thats how I did it but like I said been a few months. I can't remember if I used a 1/2" or a 3/8" extension.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 PM
dodgeforlife15
Professional

i had to use a small sldgehammer to get mine out. the regular hammer wasn't working. did you try that?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 PM
ct.russ
Rookie

geez i cant help either .. and i just put 3 inch lift in mine today .. i know for a fact they were a bitch to remove .. breaker bar and pipe on one .. it is tight in their to push it through.. and i couldnt imagine doing it with out the flaggy nut thingy .. for certain and surprised the sway bar ling is metric .. 12x 1.25 .. ya try finding a castle nut in that size lol

Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 PM
robkdpl

I feel your pain. Just put a 5 inch lift on my 95 Ram and the lower control arm bolts that have the alignment cams on it was frozen into the arm. Eventially had to cut off the bolt on each end and go to the dealership to order 2 of them bastards. Cost me close to $60 for the pair.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 PM
ct.russ
Rookie

damit boy that hurts .. i would have liked to go bigger on the lift but just couldnt justify the cost once you get past the 3 mark .. not a big fan of body lifts but im going 3 under their also .. its just an asphalt mudder that might see the beach3 - 4 times a year .. going to look at a set of 315 "s tomorrow hope they fit

Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Viper37
Banned

I have a pair of factory lower front shock bolts sitting in my console, as I need to replace one of my bent ones. Ill read the size off of them and tell you tomorrow.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 AM
joeuc23

ORIGINAL: Viper37

I have a pair of factory lower front shock bolts sitting in my console, as I need to replace one of my bent ones. Ill read the size off of them and tell you tomorrow.

Thanks all. Ended up having to cut the shock off as the inner collar or sleeve from the shock was rusted solid to the bolt. It ended up being that collar that was rotating. Driver side came out without much trouble, but I will be replacing both with new.

Viper37, did you have to purchase those bolts from the dealer?

I sure do hope that the rear shocks go much better today. That is if I can find the bolts at Kentucky Motors (O'Riely's and Autozone weren't able to help).

Thanks again,
Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Shock Bolts