2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Battery and starter changed - Intrepid won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
stopkran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery and starter changed - Intrepid won't start!

Hi!
Here's my issue: couple of months ago I tried to start my car but it wouldn't start (Dodge Intrepid 2000 2.7) All the dash electronics worked (radio, clock, mileage and etc.) but when I turned the key on it started ticking really fast like crazy clock and it didn't start. I tried it couple of times - the same thing. I then waited and started it from neutral. Then I forgot about it but in couple of weeks it happened again. After couple of hours of trying I started it and went to the shop where they told me that it looked like starter had to be replaced. So I bought new starter and replaced it. But it won't start again! The same crazy ticking (dash lights are flashing while ticking). So I asked one of my friends what could it be and he told me that for him it looked like a dead battery. I replied that they checked the battery in the shop and told me that it's pretty descent. He said let's try and see what's gonna happen. So he brought his jump start battery system and we connected it and the car started! So I said to myself - then I have to replace the battery. Anyway I never changed the battery for 6 years I've had this car so I decided to do it. I bought a new battery and replaced it (even replaced the clamp, the end of the negative cable which is put on the battery as it was broken). Started the car - the same thing! Ticking! Tried to start form my friend's jump system - started right away!
So here's my logic:
- it's not starter
- it's not the battery
So basically starter receive power from that jumper system when connected to the remote battery post (those that you see when you open the hood - negative and positive under the red cap) - but starter doesn't get any power from the very battery. I am not sure how it works but maybe it's wires??? Those battery cables? Any ideas? Hard to replace? What to replace? I would appreciate any help! And please keep in mind that I am a complete rookie in cars and battery and starter I changed only after I read posts at your forum. So details and maybe pictures or exact names of part would help a lot! Thank you!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Battery and starter changed - Intrepid won't start!

Classic dirty ground wire. When you jumped it, your friend probably grounded on the frame, not the battery. That's why it started. Remove the ground wire from the battery, follow it to its end, remove, clean and reinstall. Let me know how it goes.

PS it could be the cable is bad, even the hot cable...if you shifted or moved while strting. Make sure the battery terminals are clean, but from what you said, I'm leaning toward the ground.

PPS, I'd start seeing a new mechanic. He could/should have tested the starter. You can have it tested for free at auto zone while in the car. For a full test, it needs to be removed though (still free).

Kurt

Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 AM
stopkran

Thanks for your reply! I'll try and do it tomorrow after work and will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 AM
timsalas
Veteran

If that doesnt help, maybe ignition switch is being a little fart

Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM
stopkran

ORIGINAL: timsalas

If that doesnt help, maybe ignition switch is being a little fart
Is that a problem I can solve by myself? Can that switch be replaced?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
stopkran

OK, here's my report! The car starts now!
I checked negative and positive posts under the hood and all the connections were well tightened and with no corrosion. So I inspected the clamps on the battery once again. I cleaned the positive clamp throughout until I saw the clean metal with no rust or corrosion and then I noticed that on negative clamp - to be exact not on the clamp but on very cable within those thin gold wires the very cable is contained with there were some green dust (a lot of it) - so I used the spray I bought from AutoZone and cleaned that too. Plugged everything in and the car started. I was just wondering if there's any of that green dust inside the very cables. I'll see what's gonna happen and if it happens again I think I will have to change the battery cables. By the way, is it hard to do that?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 AM
timsalas
Veteran
Default RE: Battery and starter changed - Intrepid won'

Sweet glad your car starts fine now!!.. Im just guesing here, but if the cable is still tight(as in the plastic stuff isnt loosey goosey around the copper) , it shouldnt be coroded on the inside, unless water got into the cable, which I doubt.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
stopkran

Unbelievable! After almost 2 months of perfect driving the car stopped again! I was slowing down to make a turn and suddenly all the lights went off and I had to pull out. Lucky that I kept that small charger in the car so I easily started it and was able to return home. I have no other choice but to blame battery cables.
Also there's one thing I should've mentioned before. My trunk is kinda damaged so it won't close properly and that's why the trunk light on dash is always on. Can this be a reason? How do I disable it, turn it off? Need your help, guys, again! : ))

Old 08-11-2008, 04:47 PM
stopkran

By the way the very bulb that's in the trunk were removed - so there's only dash light working all the time
I understand that I will probably have to pull out some fuse and if it's in the same circuit with let's say radio I won't have radio - or does it have its own fuse? Or maybe I can "fool" the light? Like do something with the trunk or some sensor in it that says to computer that the trunk is open?
Also is it hard to change the cables? Or just unplug them from battery and from positive and negative jump posts under the hood and that's it? As always - step-by-step guidance for rookie is needed! : ))

Last edited by stopkran; 08-11-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery and starter changed - Intrepid won't start!