2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are these cats worth anything?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these cats worth anything?

Would the stock cat be worth anything off of my 01 if I sold it for scrap? I took it in to get the Magnaflow installed and asked for the stock back but just wondering if it's worth anything. Is there a way to tell if it's clogged from looking through it? Should I even waste my time with trying to sell this or are they not worth much from these trucks? I keep hearing how much catalytic converters are worth nowadays so figured it might be worth selling this one for scrap if it's actually worth something.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Figueroa (03-24-2021)
Old 06-25-2008, 09:14 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Are these cats worth anything?

They actually gave you the stock one back!?!?

They are supposed to save the stock and return it to the Feds. They could get fined big time for giving it back to you. Not that that is your problem... Something to do with the EPA.

I know they are often stolen, especially in the Detroit area, off of vehicles because they have some precious metals inside I guess.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

They haven't yet but I asked for it back when I get the truck back. Why would they have to return it to the feds? If I had cut if off wouldn't I be able to sell it for scrap? When I worked at a shop they used to just put them in a pile for some guy to come by and buy them.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm. My shop told me they had to keep it to give to the Feds to prove that they replaced a cat. I have no idea, maybe they were BSing me.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed some sellers of the magnaflows on ebay are offering you 20 bucks if you send your old cat back, so evidentally something is going on with them.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they're worth a small fortune.
turning old cats in to the feds is BS. what a liar. does anyone believe there is a national cat pile somewhere ? they're selling them for scrap.
contact a couple of local scrap yards for prices.

here's an example of their scrap value.
oem converters bring $50-100 each.
for some reason, aftermarkets are worth little ??
http://www.integritymetalscompany.co...terPrices.html

i think i'll go into the midnight sawsall business...

Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

So what would they do if someone came in with no cat and wanted one put on? Then they wouldn't have one to prove they replace it. Maybe they are supposed to do that but I don't see how thats right at all. I know cats are selling for a lot so I'd want to keep it to sell it but I don't know if shops do that or are supposed to turn them in or what.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock cats are worth money, somewhere in the ballpark of 50-100 bucks, aftermarkets arent worth a pinch of ****.

Cats contain a whole bunch of precious metals, the catch is, in order to sell your cat, all the honeycombing needs to be inside of the cat. If your cat is plugged all the better, that means that everything is in there. Hell bring it in to a local salvage yard and see what they give you.

and the feds thing is total bs. when you bring one in you may need to sign your name and give your social just to prove its you and if one comes in stolen they can trace you down (if yours is stolen anyway)

I know all this cuz im cool, and a friend of mine owns an auto recycling yard

Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so why are aftermarket cats not worth anything compared to oem ?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Well, I got the truck back today with the Magnaflow on it and have the original one they cut off also. I may call around and see what scrap yards will give me. Is a scrap yard what I want to call?

As for the Magnaflow it doesn't seem to have made a huge difference power wise. Maybe slightly but not a ton so I'm guessing my old one wasn't clogged. It seem slighlty louder now but not really a ton louder either which is what I wanted. It does seem kind of loud down low like a mean nasty growl to it. I honestly actually really like it and really like the job he did welding it on. He seemed to really do a good job and didn't charge me that much either. I think I have around $170-180 into this cat with install and parts and all. I got the cat from Summit. I'm planning to change to o2 sensor also but having to wait for it to cool down. It's all too hot under there after driving it to change it. I'm thinking now that my truck must just be normal for these Rams. I really am not sure it's that underpowered as seems to have power just not like 01DodgeRam360's did in that video. I don't know that I have something wrong though. While my truck isn't fast I wouldn't call it slow either and I can't think of anything that would make it lose power. Overall I like this cat so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are these cats worth anything?