2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dodge Dakota Sport - won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
butterflysbaby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport - won't start!

Please Help!!
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport with 54k miles. No major problems or minor problems to speak of until about 5 days ago. Went to start truck, started to fire, I let go of the key prior to complete start. When I tried to start it again, all it will do is turn over and over. Battery has plenty of juice, fuel pump kicks in but will not start. Checked for spark at coil, there isn't any. Checked all under hood fuses and interior fuses, all fine. Got repair manual, all indications lead to the ASD (Automatic Shutdown) Relay. Can not find it anywhere. Called the dealership, they tell me the part is $14.50, but other than that, they tell me the relay should be in the underhood fuse box. NOT THERE!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you,
Marie

Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport - won't start!

Welcome to Dodge Forum, Marie. You'll get more responses out of the 2nd Gen Dakota Section, I'll move you there now.....

Dusty

Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes? I remember a few months ago, I have no idea why, but my 4.7L would either crank but not fire, or start then shut off. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, it came back to life.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
butterflysbaby

Yes, I've disconnected the battery. Also found a 20amp fuse that is not getting power at all. Seems to be related to the start system. Replaced the fuse, but still no power to that fuse. Tracked the wires about 6 to 10 inches, still can not find any problems.

Now What....about to pull my hair out!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Marie,

What circuit was the fuse you found that had no power for? And where was it located?It may or may not be related to this problem.

The ASD relay is located in the Power Distribution Center under the hood next to the battery. Inside the cover of the PDC is a diagram to show which relay is the ASD. It has to be there. All 2001 Dakota's have one.The ASD is a small rectangular shaped relay with 5 terminals on it. You can test the relay by removing it and supplying power andground from a 12 volt source like the battery in your truck by using jumper wires from the battery terminals. Put ground on terminal 85 and 12volts to terminal 86 on the relay. You should hear and feel a click inside the relay. That tells you the coil is operating. Then put 12 volts to terminal 87 on the relay and with power and ground on terminals 86and 85 respectively and the relay is energized, you should have 12 volts power on terminal 30 of the relay. You can test that with a volt meter or a test light. When you remove the power and ground from terminal 86 and 85, there should be no 12 volts at terminal 30, and there should be continuity between terminals 87a and 30. If both of these conditions are not present, the relay is bad. If it is, you can try partsstores for it butit may be a dealer part only. It should not be very expensive.The relay should have the terminals labeled with their respective numbers but if not, look at it from the terminals side of the relay and follow this diagram:

_85

_87a l 87 l 30

_86

The ASD relay supplies power to the fuel injectors, ignition coil and oxygen sensor. It gets energized with a ground input on terminal 85 from the PCM. If the relay is defective the truck won't get fuel to the injectorsnor will the other parts receive voltageandthe truckwon't start.You should also get a check engine code from the PCM when and if the relay is bad. It might have code P1388 or P1389 for ASD problem. On your 2001 you can turn the ignition on then off, on then off, on then off then on and leave it on and the trouble codes will display in the odometer.

The ASD relay will also shut down if there is a problem with or a defective signal from the crankshaft position sensor. You may get code P0219 or P0320 or P0387 if the CPS is defective. The CPS is located on the passenger side of the block, below the distributor, behind the cylinder head on that side. It's near the bell housing. There are 2 bolts and a metal plate holding it to the block. It's hard todescribe and hard to get to to replace. You have tojack up that sideof the truck, putiton jack stands and remove the wheel and the inner splash shield to get to it. The splash shieldis riveted in place so have to drill them out (they are plastic so it's not hard to do) andyou need new plastic rivets and a rivettool to put it back in. You can get both at most parts and/or tool stores like Harbor Freight or maybe Northern Tool.You are also supposed to only use the original bolts to putthe CPSback in because they are machined to put it back in the correct orientation. And if you do have to replace the CPS the new one will set a trouble code in the PCM so you have to disconnect the battery negative cable, turn the ignition to start position and hold it there for about 60 seconds to reset the PCM. Or you can use a code reader to do it, or Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc may use their code tools to clear it for you.

Check the ASD relay, check for PCM trouble codes and see if any of this infohelps you. I would say try the ASD relay first, it's a lot easier than the CPS. If you have small hands and the tools for it, you might be able to get your hands up in there and remove the CPS without removing the wheel and splash shield. Once you do get this fixed, you should clear the codes from the PCM anyway, regardless of what the problem was.

Ihope this helps you out.

Jimmy

Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Marie, something I thought about is that in my 01Dakota there is no relay in the PDC labeled Auto Shutdown Relay. In mine there is one labeled the O2 Sensor Relay. I was thinking that is the relay you may need to check. I saw it last night as I was inspecting my own truck before taking a froad trip today. I hope that may help you get your own truck fixed and running well.

Jimmy

Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
farley2946
Default same problem as you

im having the same problem as you are, not getting power to the coil, manual says its the ASD relay, i cant find it either. did you ever find the relay? if so please tell me where it is, its driving me nuts!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the very same problems on my 2000 2.5L manual trans except I'm not getting any "P" codes. The odometer is reading "no bus". Last night I plugged in the OBD code reader under the steering wheel and got a communication error. Should I be checking the auto shutdown relay, ya think?
Thanks,
Rick

Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by rickself
I'm having the very same problems on my 2000 2.5L manual trans except I'm not getting any "P" codes. The odometer is reading "no bus". Last night I plugged in the OBD code reader under the steering wheel and got a communication error. Should I be checking the auto shutdown relay, ya think?
Thanks,
Rick
"no bus" means your computer is dead. which means about $300 out of your pocket for a new one

Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
rickself
Veteran

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
"no bus" means your computer is dead. which means about $300 out of your pocket for a new one
Correct-o! I just installed a new (remanufactured) PCM for about $285 and I'm still getting the "no bus" error. ???

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport - won't start!