2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

'05 Hemi just quits

Old 02-21-2008, 11:12 AM
campdaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Hemi just quits

I have read at least 4 threads on this forum where the 2G Durango will just quit. not really a stall, it just stops dead in it's tracks. Mine has done this as well. I am becoming more and more convinced that at least some of these incidents are caused by the ignition key losing, for whatever reason, communications with the security system. My 05 Hemi had started doing this also and I noticed that it happened only when my wife was driving it. I could not think of a reason why it would happen for her but not on me. She finally quit driving it all together. I had missplaced my keys a few weeks ago and had to use hers -which she wasn't using anymore anyway. When I stared the D it stared and ran fine for few minutes then just like that, it died. When I tried to restart it, it would start for just a second or two then die. After trying it for the third time, it would not even engage the starter. I also noticed that the security light on the dash was flashing. I went back in the house and found my keys and sure enough they worked fine. I took it to the dealer the next day but of course they con not find anythnig wrong.

Now that would explain why she was the only one having this trouble -it was caused by the key she was using and not by anything she was doing. I was so convinced that the keys have somethng to do with this stalling issue that I odered two more keys, had them cut, and programed them to work in my D. I have used the suspect key (my wife's key) a number of time now as a test and sure enough it has happened once more. But this time I had one of my spare keys with me and IT WORKED!!!

Now I'm not saying that every case of stalling is caused by this, but I am sure that at least some of the problems I have reading about in this and other forums is, especially the ones where it starts for a second after stalling and then just dies a few times. Also it might be related to the turning of the stearing wheel as some of you are having the right hand turn stall situation. Also somebodyy on this forum mentioned that they had kneed the stearing column and it died. I'm not saying that all cases are caused by this but if your having this "no warning stalling issue" it might be worth looking into.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Wishbone
Record Breaker
Default RE: '05 Hemi just quits

You might be on to something. I wonder if there is anyway to disable the security devise for testing? I bought my Durango a month ago and read these issues which was one of the reasons it pushed me to get the 4.7L.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM
campdaddy

Well, I've done done a little more internet research and there seems to be very little information on these transponder keys. From what I am reading though, it looks as though the transponder signal is only needed for starting. I can't find anything on what would happen if the signal were lost after the vehicle was running. If that's the case -it only needs the transponder sig for startnig- then my hypothesis about it causing some of the quiting I am reading about is erroneous as this should only affect it while starting. In my case the truck would start and run normally for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes before stalling. but once it stalled, I had to change keys in order to get it to start again. One thing I did not try was removing the suspect key and reinserting the same key to see if maybe reestablishing the transponder communication link was what is needed and not a different key. One thing I do know is that in my case at least, the stalling so far has only occurred while using one of the two keys. Again, there does not seem to be a lot of information out there about whether or not this transponder signal is required to be present the whole time the vehicle is running or just when it is being started and what would happen if the signal were lost while driving down the road. I'm just suggesting that as a test, those of you who are experiencing these phantom quiting to try carrying two keys and try switching them if it occurs. One thing I did read though is not to have both keys on the same keyring as they can interfere with each other and cause the signal to not be recognized and prevent it from starting. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, and i sure ain't claiming to have the answers to all these stalling issues, but I do know that in my case, that at least two times -once after the truck had been idling for about 5 min- that it dies and would not restart until I used a different key. Just something to try for those of you having this problem. I would be curious to know though if this works for anyone else, or if mine is just an isolated case.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
campdaddy

Ok, so here's the latest thing I'vd done to test my theroy that the tranponder key is having some type of effect of this stalling and quiting issues. I had a non-transponder key cut. I tried to start my D with it and as you might immagine, it would start for a few seconds and quit, start and quit 3 times, then no starter action. I then placed a transponder key near the ingition and started it with the non-transponder key. It started and ran fine. I remove the tranponder key and the truck still ran fine, no stalling, no quiting. so that tells me that while the tranponder communication may be an issue with the staring and stalling, it is probably not a factor in the issue of stalling or quiting while driving.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:46 AM
asosnov

Did you actually ride the truck or only idled it? I came across indications that the system retries communication with the key when you press the break pedal or something.
A

Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 PM
campdaddy

Good point. I just sat there letting it idle. I did not drive it. I'll try that let you know what happens.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 PM
bldgdesigner

I had this exact same problem at about 30K miles. Took it back to the dealer and it was diagnosed as the receiver that reads the ignition key. Replacing this module solved the problem as I am at 48K a year and a half later with no further problems. You will have to have both keys with you as they will have to reprogram them both to work with the new receiver.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
sca
Professional

Some known causes are transmission fluid levels and a battery that is about to die.
Durango's are very sensitive for battery voltages.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:29 AM
ramoffroad

We've had this same problem with our 05 D but notice it almost never quits when we use 89 octane, as recommended, instead of 87. The manual states that you can use 87 but 89 is preferred. When we run 87, it does it much more than with 89, which is hardly at all, if ever,with the 89. Just a thought.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 PM
lgordon

I have not have this happen in my 06 Durango, but last year our family rented a Dodge Caravan on vacation and we got the key (with the remote) wet. When we went to leave, the engine would start for about 4 secs and quit. There is a security chip in the key and if this is bad or damaged, the engine will shut down, go to the dealer and they can test your key, the keys aren't cheap. Hope this solves your problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 Hemi just quits