3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifter Stuck in Park

Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
AlexisRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Stuck in Park

Hi all...

I can't shift out of park unless I disconnect the 2 wire connector on shift cable at the column.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifter Stuck in Park

Check your brake lights, sounds like the switch at your brake pedal might not be working...

Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
AlexisRam

Brake Lights are working. Just to clarify that brake lights (in tail lights) only work when ignition is on. 3rd brake light in upper cab works whether ignition on or off.

So since brake lights work does that rule out the brake light switch? The switch has 6 wire connector. Any idea which of these wires to check for shift release?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly your "Park" lockout solenoid crapped out. Happened to me once.

What it does is that it will not open unless you have the brake engaged. Nice little safety feature that all cars have if made in the last 20 years or so. Where it is at in our trucks, I have no idea. Maybe someone can chime in that has a service manual or you will have to blow $20 and go get one.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 PM
zaathur151

I had a recall notice in the mail for the 02 models with the shifter on the column doing something like that also coming out of park and rolling away it was a while back but I took it in and they fixed it for free

Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 PM
AlexisRam

The BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock) mechanism is on the shift cable were to attaches to the column shift lever. It is working. It will not release when the brake pedal is depressed. It only releases if I unplug it. With a small child it is a safety feature I can't do without.

I also have an issue with my brake lights only working when the ignition is turned on. I am sure the 2 issues are related. I have seen some references to the Front Control Module (FCM) but nothing for this specific problem. Can anyone confirm if the circuit for the BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock) mechanism and the brake lights run through the FCM?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:48 AM
AlexisRam

Success! After changing the the PCM (fuse/ relay box) to correct the "no park lamp" issue my brake lights stopped working and my shifter would not come out of park.

I went back and checked everything and found the Instrument Cluster-C2 connector (left side) was not seated completely. That's where the brake light switch signals run through.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:06 PM
mwilly
Cool Shifter stuck in park - Lubrication issue

I have a 2002 Durango SLT 4WD that was stick in park. Of course the dealership will not give you any info about it so i figured it out myself. With the use of a torx screwdriver (sorry, size not known) I removed the steering column plastic housing. After looking at the action of turning the key and trying to move the shift lever, I noticed a lever was not moving to allow a pin to recess out of the way of the shifter (first photo). I used my finger to move a plate (second photo) towards the steering wheel and it allowed the pin to recess (third picture) and the shifter to move. After seeing this action, you should be able to figure out were it needs some lubrication. Good thing the shifter got stick while the vehicle was in the garage.

Attached Thumbnails  Shifter Stuck in Park-pic-0035.jpg    Shifter Stuck in Park-pic-0036.jpg    Shifter Stuck in Park-pic-0037.jpg  
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Zorkmid2000
Talking Shifter stuck in park - Lubrication issue

Thank you mwilley!

I was able to access the pin and lever by pulling back the shfter boot. After seeing that pin not always retracting, I just squirted some 3 in one oil and it stopted sticking. Great help!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
saxmaniac
Default 2002 Durango Stuck In Park Fix!

Thanks for tip. The screw driver you'll need is a T-20.. Also be sure to get a long one. I had a multi T set and for one screw it was too short. Had to run and get another one. Also seeing on the boards some didn;t have to removed the steering plastic colum.. Just puled th boot back and spayed with oil.. I feel confident however that by takeing the extra step you know its cleaned and lubed adiquately.. Thanks A mill for your help..

Re 2002 Durango SLT 4.7 stuck in park.

Originally Posted by mwilly
I have a 2002 Durango SLT 4WD that was stick in park. Of course the dealership will not give you any info about it so i figured it out myself. With the use of a torx screwdriver (sorry, size not known) I removed the steering column plastic housing. After looking at the action of turning the key and trying to move the shift lever, I noticed a lever was not moving to allow a pin to recess out of the way of the shifter (first photo). I used my finger to move a plate (second photo) towards the steering wheel and it allowed the pin to recess (third picture) and the shifter to move. After seeing this action, you should be able to figure out were it needs some lubrication. Good thing the shifter got stick while the vehicle was in the garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter Stuck in Park