1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ticking on acceleration...??

Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
jaynew1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking on acceleration...??

hi, I have a 1999, 5.9..around 65K miles on it. I just started hearing a ticking sound coming from the engine compartment..sounds like it is coming from the driver's side. It only sounds under acceration/under load. If I let up on the gas the ticking is not there. I did browse this site and did not really see a fix..but a few people having a similar problem ..any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...Thank you
jay

Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay:

Could be a bad plug wire giving up under load, or more likely the begining of an exhaust leak.

Do you hear it at all times under load, or just within the first few miles of driving after a cold start??

Don

Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 PM
jaynew1

the ticking is all the time under load...cold and when warm up...I will try checking for the both the exhaust leak and bad plug wire(s)..later this evening. Hope to find it soon

Old 08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Ok:

Give those a shot, and get back to us.

On the exhaust issue, a way to try to locate the leak is to wear a good quality work glove, then take a towel bunched up and seal off your tailpipe.
You might need a second party to help look for the leak, and don't leave the pipe sealed for more than a few seconds at a time or the motor will shut off.

Don

Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
jaynew1

I visually look at the exhaust manifold, plug wires, and did not see/hear anything that would suggest a leak. I am thinking it might not be a leak because the ticking is not there at park, or even when the rpm is increased while in park. It only ticks while it is under acceleration and moving. I am also ruling out the possibility of some obstruction of the wheels because, once I get off the gas while rolling the ticking goes away. The plug wires look fine. I am stumped. I will still try what you suggested this evening about blocking the tail pipe with the aid of my son. Anything is worth a try...because I am planning a long trip (800 miles) soon. A question, if it was the exhaust, wouldn't that noise be there all the time?...and not only under load/acceration?
.... shoot me with some suggestions guys ..I am sure some one must have had a similar issue(s) on this forum....
Thank you, Jay

Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some exhaust leaks will go away when the engine heats up, the metal will expand as it gets hotter closing the gap where is was leaking.

could be sparkplug wire.
maybe give this a try http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm
"""spark knock complaints with vehicle under load """(^from link)

Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Jay;

How old are your wires??? A bad wire can work just fine at idle, and even when you run the rpms up in neutral or park. Going down the road pute them under a load when accelerating. Try putting the trans in drive or reverse with the parking brake on, and no one in front or back. With your foot FIRMLY on the brake, bring the rpms up to 1.5-2k and see if it runs rough or misses.

An other old trick is to wait till dark, and fire up the motor and look to see if you observe any sparking or flashes under the hood around the wires.

From what you are saying, I am starting to think this noise could be a driveline issue. My memory is "commencin" as Jethro would say to think about things llike loose torque convertor/flywheel bolts and such.

Jay:

If your D is a 4x4, take a real close look at the front driveshaft and its u joints. For a while recently, quite a few folks were having issues with their front shafts causing all kinds of weird noises.

Don

Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. A full tune up might be in order.

2. Might want to go back to a better grade of fuel or change stations.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 AM
jaynew1

Well guys yesterday I looked more carefully at the exhaust manifold. I noticed that there is 2 ticking noises also, one that is very soft and goes away on heat up. The other is the one that is more noticeable that is mentioned above. I remove the heat shield from the exhaust manifold, (it was kinda rotted out). As I removed the heat shield I found that one of bolts closer to the firewall came off with it...it seems to have been an old cut, but was still in there...held by the rust/and shield. I think that is the source of the soft tick that goes away on heat up....which I am not too worried about at the moment.
I will have to fire up the truck in the dark and look under the hood...the truck is probably due for a change of plug wires ...
At another site, I read of our engines having a plenum gasket failure, this will lead to excesses sludge, which will intern block the oil pump pickup shield and finally leads to starvation of oil/lubrication/drop of oil pressure/...and all kinds of strange noises, and finally massive engine damage/failure . My pressure gauge is on the low side at idle around 40...and as the rpm picks up it goes up so I am ruling out the lack of oil at the moment.
My truck is a 4x4, I will look at the u-joint/cv joint... braking/loading the engine, I did this in drive not reverse..I didn't notice a misfire at the time.
I hope changing plug wires will take of the ticking ...
sounds like an ingnition thing...because it only happens under load/acceleration....
The manual recommends 87 oct gas .....I fill up where ever....no special gas station
I will update once I find some thing..thanks for suggestions..
Jay

Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Jay:

You have certainly made progress. Sounds like you have at least one if not two exhaust issues. Again, our Durangos have are known for exhaust manifold bolts either breaking or loosening up.

The quick way to diagnose the belly gasket is to look down into the throttle body with a flashlight. If you see oil and or wetness, you are a candidate for a new gasket.

Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ticking on acceleration...??