2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Crank Position Sensor on 318

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM
cessnajfb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Crank Position Sensor on 318

99 Dodge Ram 1500 with 318

Searching the internet I found a post that said my crank position sensor is on the bell housing adjacent to the rear of my passenger side exhaust manifold. I can't see it.

Does anyone know if this is where it is and what the best way to get at it is?
I also read that it was mounted with two 1/4 inch hex drive screws - can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes,

It is a blind job, because you can't see what you're doing.

The sensor is behind the passenger side valve cover and exhaust manifold. It's a PITA to get to. If you crawl under your truck and locate the oil filter and then look up toward the exhaust manifold on the passenger side, you'll notice a little steel flange bracket with 2 bolts holding it down. That's the little bugger right there. Here's a thread on how to get to it if you are having problems:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/130645-crank-sensor-mod-for-those-with-big-hands.html

Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 AM
dillonjm
Veteran

I found the best way to attack it was from the top, but its a tight fit even to get your hand in there. Its a PITA to get to is all.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:45 AM
cessnajfb
Amateur

Thanks guys, I plan on attacking it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. Frank

Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 AM
cessnajfb
Amateur

Like you said, it was a PITA. I looked from underneath first to see where it was and then from the top was able to feel it and get the 1/4 hex into the bolts and remove it with no problem. To get the wire connector apart I had to pull the removed sensor over to the harness where I could pull both directions on the wiring. Inserting the new sensor back into the rubber grommet was also a PITA and I didn't think I'd ever get the second bolt started. I drove it to work this morning. I'm going to get Auto Zone to test the old one - if it tests good I guess I won't know if the problem (truck dies while going down the hiway) is fixed until I drive it for a while. Thanks for all of your help, Frank

Originally Posted by cessnajfb
Thanks guys, I plan on attacking it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. Frank

Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

The Crank Sensor is just a magnet that records the ticks in the flex plate to set the timing. Either it works or it doesn't, and it should be read by the PCM at startup as well. Check your voltage on the pre-cat O2 sensor to see if it's sweeping funny. If it's bad, it'll lean out the engine to a stall. running lean constantly isn't a good thing either.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:44 AM
cessnajfb
Amateur

I'm not being defensive here I just want to explain how I got to where I am. The truck was dying while my daughter was driving it, the first two times, by the time she got to the side of the road it started back up. The third time it wouldn't start and we had it towed to a shop where it showed no diagnostic codes but started back up and wouldn't die for them. I then drove the truck 4 hours home and then 60 miles round trip for two days and then it died on me at 60mph on the next day. The shop told me that the crank position sensor on this truck has a history of failing (temporarily) and not leaving any codes. (I had an 88 318 that the distributor pickup plate did the same thing on) That being said that's why I did a trial and error replacement of the crank position sensor ($75).

The pre-cat 02 is the pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor? Are there two, one on each exhaust downstream of the manifolds? What kind of voltage should I expect to see from the sensors - what does sweeping funny mean?

Thanks much for replying, Frank

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
The Crank Sensor is just a magnet that records the ticks in the flex plate to set the timing. Either it works or it doesn't, and it should be read by the PCM at startup as well. Check your voltage on the pre-cat O2 sensor to see if it's sweeping funny. If it's bad, it'll lean out the engine to a stall. running lean constantly isn't a good thing either.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Check your wiring harness to your PCM. I've heard of guys trucks dying (especially while running a jet chip) because the wiring harness would work it's way a little loose and temporarily lose connection from vibration. You may have already checked it, I just thought I'd mention it since it's easy and free to check.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:44 PM
cessnajfb
Amateur

I'll check it. Thanks, Frank

Originally Posted by Ramdamit98
Check your wiring harness to your PCM. I've heard of guys trucks dying (especially while running a jet chip) because the wiring harness would work it's way a little loose and temporarily lose connection from vibration. You may have already checked it, I just thought I'd mention it since it's easy and free to check.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by cessnajfb

The pre-cat 02 is the pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor? Are there two, one on each exhaust downstream of the manifolds? What kind of voltage should I expect to see from the sensors - what does sweeping funny mean?

Thanks much for replying, Frank
No offense taken, it's possible the crank sensor isn't working, there might be a short in the wires that run around the back end of the engine, I'm just throwing out other possibilities for you to check.

there are 2 sensors in the truck, unless it's a California emissions Truck then it has 4. The Post cat sensor just tells the PCM that the cat is in good working order. The Pre cat sensor leans and enriches the fuel mixture.
This link should tell you more than what you want to know about O2 sensors:
http://mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

It could also be a failing ignition coil that's giving up after it's been put under load for an extended time. Or, I've read that fuel pumps can sometimes go slowly if they are partially blocked.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 08-24-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 Crank Position Sensor on 318