Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Flashing Check Engine Light on 2004 Dodge Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 PM
SDATL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Flashing Check Engine Light on 2004 Dodge Stratus

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus with 71k miles. Last evening, I was on the expressway going around 60mph and I pressed the accelerator and I could not pick up speed. About a mile up the road, I was going 50mph uphill and I quickly pressed the accelerator and I could not pick up speed again and the check engine light began to flash. I quickly got of the expressway and the light stopped flashing. This morning I went to AutoZone and they ran a quick check on the car and no computer codes came up. Afterwards, I had the oil changed in the car...I got on a road with a steep hill; I was going 30mph and I pressed on the accelerator and I could not pick up speed. The check engine light began to flash and the car began to shutter, so I turned off the road into a parking lot and turned the car off. 1 min. later, I turned the car on and no problem. I have no idea what could be wrong with my car. The oil has been changed and I checked the transmission fluid, and the fluid level appears to be okay. The check engine light appears to come on when I quickly press the accelerator and I am going uphill. I hope nothing is wrong my transmission. Any ideas?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flashing cel is normally misfire/ignition

Old 08-17-2008, 05:27 PM
SDATL

Thanks bad venge. I also tried pressing the accelerator while the car was in park and when I let off of the accelerator, the car began to shutter. The rpm fluctuated between 1000-2000 rpm, but the car never cut off. This time, the engine like did not flash.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
gpg
Rookie

Flashing SES/CEL is usually a bad sign... although usually they won't go away by themselves which makes it sort of weird. You probably shouldn't be driving it if it's flashing. I would say either cylinder misfire or low fuel pressure? Check the resistance of the wires with a multimeter.. see if the plugs are alright.. But most likely, get it looked at, that's what I would do (especially if you can get it to happen so that you can show them. It's hard to debug a problem if it's intermittent)

Sorry I can't be of more help

Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it can be as simple as a bad rotor or cap ...

Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 PM
krs_si

Your timing is off.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 AM
tomthedog
Captain

i'm guessing it's an auto tranny, engine type? sounds like tranny bands maybe? does the engine rpms get higher or not?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

If you keep driving it with the light flashing you run a large risk of doing dammage to your cat converter a flashing light means severe missfire which will cause a lack of power

Quick Reply: Flashing Check Engine Light on 2004 Dodge Stratus