1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Central Timer Module Tech Question

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Dips
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Central Timer Module Tech Question

Okay guys i suspect that the central timer module is has gone bad on my car? For anyone not familiar w/ this part it is a module that helps control headlights, tailights, door ajar chime noise, when your dome lights will turn on when doors open, rear windshield wiper, wiper intermitent speeds, that feature where your door locks lock auto after a certain distance, Remote Keyless Entry etc.

Now I go to school for auto mechanics, i used alldata to pull up some information about this central timer module and part of the R&R it says that you need a DBR3 scan tool to reprogram the new one that you get. Now is the reprogramming for the door lock feature and remote keyless entry? Does anyone know if u can just swap in the other one to get the headlights to work correctly and stuff.

Because as of now the headlights, taillights, cluster lights, just flicker on and off. You can hear the relay switching on and off. I know that the electrical wiring is working correctly, since they do turn on. Its also kinda weird that my Remote key doesn't work anymore, my rear wiper doesn't work anymore, the intermittent speeds don't work, my dome lights only turn on when the rear lift gate is open, my door locks don't lock anymore. This Central Timer Module is all in the wiring for all of these things. I just wanna know if i really need the scan tool to put this new part in to get my headlights working correctly because i can't drive at night w/ them flickering on and off every second.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you nailed the problem.

The answer to your question is you have to take it to the dealer and have the new one flashed to your D. They are the only ones that can do it. It costs about $480 and you need to take in all of your key FOB's when flashed to get them programed while they are there.

Sorry, but off to the Stealership for you......

Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Dips

so i can't just put another one in and get my headlights working? cause im not really worried about the Remote Key and the doorlock feature, i just want to be able to get the headlights working

Old 09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer has to install and setup the CTM for you. Unfortunately it is not just a part you can install .

Old 09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Dips

man that's crappy, all it is; is 3 screws and 3 wire harness. How much do they charge for this? I know this is just a 15 minute job of 1 panel 3 screws, and a fat guy sitting in a chair w/ a scan tool

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i can't say for sure what will or won't work in your case, but i can tell you about my limited experience with CTM on an 01 ram. my intermittent wipers were not adjusting the time delay, and were stuck on the fastest setting. i replaced multifunction switch, no change. i checked wiring, relays, etc. i replaced the CTM for $120, and had to make a choice of "standard ctm" or "highline ctm". the highline was for the remote, power, etc. since mine was a simple ST, it was the standard. i replaced it with no problem, although it didn't change my problem, which turned out to be missing fuse #13, labeled power windows or locks, which i don't have and incorrectly assumed was insignificant.

here's another way to look at it. if you buy it from dealer or junkyard and install it yourself, what's the worst that could happen.... some things might not work until you buy additional dealer programming.

so go for it. try a junkyard first. be sure the car it comes from has the same "loaded/all power" environment.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

you dont flash the cmt you are setting cust prefrences you can get on from a junk yard but it may have problems of it's own a new on should work your lights. but key fob wont work ctm is a first gen bcm

Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Sounds like you nailed the problem.

The answer to your question is you have to take it to the dealer and have the new one flashed to your D. They are the only ones that can do it. It costs about $480 and you need to take in all of your key FOB's when flashed to get them programed while they are there.

Sorry, but off to the Stealership for you......
The cost is in my message. Now you can try it and I would buy one new and install it. But I don't know if it will work without a flash.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Dips

Now can this problem be happening because of a new engine that i put into my truck? Are these related problems

Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

If a new engine was installed then I would go for a vacume leak for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Central Timer Module Tech Question