2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rattle from Rear

Old 01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
SXTNNY
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle from Rear

Ok, 2003 SXT. I have developed a rattle in the rear right suspension. I only have 13K on it so this worries me. Any ideas? When I go over any rough bumps it isn't dampened. Sounds a bit like metal on metal. Car drives normally other then that. Strut plate?? Wheel bearring?? Anyone ever have this problem? Thanks!!

Old 01-28-2005, 07:24 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: Rattle from Rear

Have you done any suspension work at all? I doubt you have otherwise you'd have mentioned it. Maybe your strut is blown....does it go "klunk" when you go over a bump? Maybe you exhaust is touching something, there is an exhaust hanger on the right rear side of the car. Can't really think of anything else.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:21 PM
SXTNNY
Captain

Naa, no suspension work at all. It's all stock. It deffinately klunks over bumps. Rattles and almost sounds like something is loose. I blew a rear strut on my 94 Supreme, but that was at 85K miles, not 13K. When I brake hard it also creaks from that right rear area. I'm thinking it's the strut or the strut plate.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:47 PM
ewetho
All Star

Take it in an get it inspected as a bad part can cause greater problems if it ultimately fails. Still under warranty

Old 01-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Neonsxt0486
Rookie

Thats very odd because i'm having the EXACT same problem as you. I took mine in and they told me i was hearing things. The guy rode with me when it did it really bad and he said that it was a common problem but they dont know what it is. Then he told me if anything breaks to call him. I hate the dodge dealership in Texas City. If you figure it out let me know.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:59 AM
ewetho
All Star

Shot in the dark...

Just a thought as i found a loose mount on a minivan that another guy worked on the other day. Try tightening the strut mount bolts at the top of the strut in the trunk. Just a guess probably 13mm or 1/2" (Almost the same). The one I did the mount would not move but for bigger bumps. All I did was tighten them 1/8 to 1/4 turn but problem was gone.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:17 AM
SXTNNY
Captain

Well, I took it in for a squeling belt and flickering lights and they couldn't find anything wrong either. That was a week ago. Now I have to call and make an appt. for next week for this. They sure as hell don't want to tell me they can't find anything wrong this time. It's not a "common problem" either. I won't live with it. The car sounds horrible. They will either find and fix it, or get me a new Neon. We will have to see...

Old 01-29-2005, 01:27 AM
nippondrifterae111
Professional

it's definetly a stru problem beause i have the rattle noise as welll. when i removed my sruts i took it to get tightened and reinstalled it it worked at first then started rattling again. i believe the rubber assemble parts and maybe the fact that the shaft needs to be held while tightening it will solve the problem if it doesn't then maybe replacing is the only possible solution kyb is a good company even thpough it is after market and cost like 220

Old 01-29-2005, 02:06 AM
ewetho
All Star

Yeah, But double check the upper mount bolts that attach the strut to the car as well as the strut center bolt that attaches the mount to the strut. I fould that sometime the upper bolts attaching it to the car loosens up a little and if this happens just take em off one at a time and use locktite! Tight to Tight!!!

Old 01-29-2005, 02:40 AM
SXTNNY
Captain

These are parts that shouldn't become loose!!! That's part of the problem. You shouldn't have to retighten your strut bolts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle from Rear